Monday, February 20, 2023

When you don't want to read the book

 It's book group tomorrow night. 

I don't want to finish the book. I don't like the book. But I am a bloody minded fool who sticks to her guns. After being in this book group for around 15 years, there have only been two books I haven't finished. Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Nagozi and Brendan Cowell's Plum. Of the former, I was in Europe when book group was held. Of the latter, I was working stupid hours and I couldn't gel with the book, so I gave in. I don't want to make this one the third book I've missed. 

Like it's a classic they say. And sure, I can find some redeeming qualities in this 70-year-old book which is an American Classic. 

But it's a slog. I mean it's a book about these horrible people who do horrible things to each other and then go pray all of their sins away. Great. None of the characters are particularly likeable. I find the tone quite drony, and bland. 

And yes, I know that James Baldwin is an American national treasure, and yes, I know that Baldwin is documenting his life in Harlem, within the realms of the Pentecostal Church, in the Jim Crow era and he's giving insight into a world I will never experience. 

And the worst thing - I've got Peter, Paul and Mary's version of the song in my head. 

It doesn't mean I am liking the book. I can appreciate it to a point, but I don't have to like it. 

I've got about 80 pages to go.

Ergh. 

Today's song: 




No comments: