Friday, February 23, 2024

The Tickets

 It fell to me to sit online and get the tickets, and that was okay. It was my turn to do this. It was my turn. And I could do this while I was at work, having the Ticketmaster tab opened in the background, watching the queue go down from 37000 to something more reasonable over the following half hour. I got some work done while watching the queue diminish. 

The concert - Pearl Jam. 

But I'm not going for them. I don't mind Pearl Jam. I like their early stuff. I know their lead singer is Eddie Vedder, but that is about the end of it. 

No, I'm not paying $225 to get a general admission ticket to see them. I know that Barney and his mate Bossman are big Pearl Jammers. My friend El is coming along too. 

Nope, I'm going for The Pixies - who are playing as the support act. 

Yep, The Pixies are coming to town. And while I know very few facts about Pearl Jam, I can tell you all sorts of weird stuff about my favourite band. I will spout daft facts like: 

  • Black Francis's real name is Charles Thompson IV
  • That they come from Boston, Massachussetts
  • That Dave Lovering, the drummer has a cat called Norman
  • That there was a bassist who took over from Kim Deal, but she didn't work out, but Paz Lenchantin has forged forth and is very much a part of the band
  • And that Joey Santiago is one of the most underrated guitarists of the twentieth century. 
Yes, I need to be there, even if I go home before Pearl Jam goes on.

Especially as I'll be getting there early as Glen Hansard is coming on at the start. 

Glen Hansard you ask?

He was responsible for the music of the Movie / Stage show Once - and if you haven't seen it - dig it out, Irish music at its absolute best. 

See below:

Mind you, this is all happening on a Monday in November, as by the time I got to the front of the queue, the first concert had sold out. 

Nevertheless, it's still something to look forward to.


No comments: