Friday, February 9, 2024

Journal Cards: The best boss

 I've had a week of it and writing is coming a bit hard, so I've turned to my trusty Journalling cards for inspiration. 

And today's card reads, "The best boss you've ever worked for was so good because...

Well, I have a few of my old bosses on my social media pages, so I won't be naming names. 

And remember that as I change my jobs fairly regularly as I'm a contractor, so I've run the gamut of bosses, from the really terrible to the fantastic, and a lot somewhere in the middle. I've also managed teams. I'm not sure if I'm a good or bad manager, but I know I try to walk the walk with what I've liked from the management styles I gel with. 

I'm thinking of a couple of the good bosses I've had over the years, and they had the following things in common. 

First up, they give you the autonomy to do what you have to do without micro-managing, carping or being too much in the detail. They trust you to get on with your job. That's a big thing. Being older, it's good to be able to get on with things. 

Another good trait in a boss is when they get down in the trenches with you. Some of the best bosses I've had are the ones who've stayed back with you with a tight deadline and helped out. They've really come into their own when it comes to helping out the team. I remember one good boss calling me up late one night. The day's trades had not gone into the system. It was critical that they get re-keyed. We got to the office at 5 a.m. He was there doing the work alongside me. It meant a lot. 

The other thing a good boss will do is foster the team spirit. Good bosses build good teams. When they're interviewing, they're looking for team fit. Some of the best teams I've been in are the ones when everybody has a different skill, and we complement each other. And a good team is one that can laugh together. You're spending forty hours a week with these people, it's like a mini marriage. And again, I look at my socials and see so many ex-colleagues among their ranks, many of with whom I'm in regular contact. I have one friend with whom I have lunch once a month - we've been doing this for fifteen years. We have nothing in common other than we worked together and like each other's company. 

A good boss will also back you up - and protect you when necessary. They'll give you credit for your work. And when necessary, provide constructive criticism. The criticism that helps you move forward, rather than put you in a hole. 

There's lots of other stuff I could write about bosses, but I'll leave it there. A good boss doesn't have to be your friend, but they do need to be approachable and trustworthy. They'll keep your counsel and have your back. And they let you be you. 

Have I missed anything?

Today's song:

No comments: