Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Atomic Habits

 This week's audiobook is Atomic Habits by James Clear. 

Yes, I do occasionally read non-fiction books, and this one is really good. It looks, in a very digestible form, how to make and keep good habits while evicting your not so good ones, and looking at the theories behind them. It's not a long book, but it is very interesting - and hopefully useful. 

I'm pretty good once I get into a good habit. at keeping good habits. 

My bed is made every morning. I started that habit around fifteen years ago. I make my bed once I'm up. I never get into an unmade bed at night. As I was once told many years ago when I was getting on top of depression, if you make your bed, you've achieved something for the day. It was the advice I needed. I've made my bed every day ever since. 

This blog is a habit. I have a pact with myself that I have something written and published by midnight every day. I've set an accountability factor into this, stating that I've published the post on Facebook. I don't care if anybody reads the post, but I've kept the contract with myself. 

I'm now looking to create a few more good habits. The two I'm looking at incorporating into my life are to moisturise my feet every day and to spend more time by water.  

I know the first one seems a bit silly, but I'm sick of having crusty feet. I also set a New Year's resolution many years ago, which was to put on hand cream daily. This was one of the best New Year's resolutions - it was specific, timely (hand cream once a day - hardly a chore) achievable, measured and time bound. 

In his book, Clear says you also have to look at what you're getting out of these activities. For the feet moisturising, it's just a sense that my feet look and feel better. As for the being near water., I find it helps to soothe me. Thankfully the river is only five minutes' walk away and I can take a bahn mi and eat my lunch by the banks of the Yarra if I'm working from home. I've been thinking about my time on retreat last month - I loved spending time by the sea. It was like a balm and I want more of it. 

So, I'm looking at how I can cajole myself into getting these things done regularly. The moisturing I'd like to do daily - after my shower at night. The being by water I think is more an every second day thing. Enough to have benefit, but not to much that I feel bad if I let myself down.

Let's see if I can get going on forming these habits. 

This may leave to more changes. 


Today's song:

No comments: