Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Just back from the Pub

It's 10.30 and I'm just back from the pub. 

I was going to go for a quick dinner and a quick drink. After the last two weeks, and the weekend down at the retreat, I was ready to crash at five p.m.. but a quick dip in next door's pool and I was ready to at least get dinner. As nothing is open in Darwin City on a Monday, it was back down the Cavanagh Hotel for dinner. 

They really do the best steak. A small piece of eye fillet, cooked rare, with chimmichuri sauce and some salad. Bliss. They also have these alcoholic slushies - a couple of Dark and Stormies (Rum, bitters and ginger beer) and I could have gone home. 

 But a rogue work colleague had said there was live music out in the Cav's courtyard and they'd gone out for a listen. We weren't aware of the music. According to them, this was a bit of the real Darwin. In the courtyard you find the great unwashed congregating beneath ceiling fans, showing off their tattoos while their packets of Winfield Blue sit on a waiting coaster. They warned us that it wasn't as sanitised as the Cav's restaurant area. 

What we discovered was a bit of the real Darwin. 

Something about Darwin that not many people know - it's the one place in Australia where you can find live music every night. Including Monday night, where Darwin is normally deader than Stuart Highway roadkill. 

What we found was a wonderful fellow on a guitar singing pub standards. 

It was great. 

I'm out with the team and I'm happily singing along. 
 
I'm with a team where I'm comfortable enough to sing along with the talent. And yes, he was playing from the great Australian song book. He asked for requests. Hunters and Collectors. Oasis. Pete Murray, The Verve. 

He sang it, we kept up with him. 

It was a great night. 

And here is a picture of my beer. 



But best of all, I have a team with whom I can go out and have some fun.

I also found out that the three of us can vaguely sing in tune. 








No comments: