The Event: Magda Szubanski in conversation with Julia Baird
Where: Melbourne Town Hall
As a part of the Wheeler Center
When: 29 September - for one night only.
I was gifted a ticket to see this a few weeks ago. I was thinking of going along, but my friend got in before me and offered me one for my birthday. It turns out, she got the flu, I had a spare ticket, and I was joined by my mate Ernie, who came down from the Macedon Ranges to see Magda talk about her new book, I Can't Tell You But I Will. Ernie's a huge fan. I've always been an admirer of this plucky woman - comedian, advocate, writer, survivor and all-round great woman.
The talk, in conversation with Julia Baird, a wonderful author in her own right led the conversation into some choppy places. A lot of the talk centered around her mother, her decline and death, and the ever-difficult topic of mothers and daughters. She spoke of her cancer treatment. Her advocacy for the same sex marriage and the First Nations Voice. A down to earth, incredibly eloquent and funny woman, she spoke of her Scottish heritage (her father was Polish - he was also the subject of her first book) and how it is okay to be more than one thing... Scottish... Polish... Lesbian... Right wing. I think I'm going to borrow her term, that she's a radical moderate.
This evening was a delight. Just hearing about her new book makes me want to see more.
The Guardian has reviewed the book - singing its praises. Her first book, Reckoning, about her father, had similar reviews. I look forward to getting my hands on it.
This was a top session. Okay, I could have brained the women sitting next to me who were loudly agreeing with everything she said, but you can only love this national treasure, because that is what she is.
It was also lovely to catch up with Ernie. A quick dirty burger and along chat and the world feels a little more stable.
No comments:
Post a Comment