Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Needlesticks

We tried. 

We failed. 

We'll try again in a fortnight. 

The Blood Bank. 

I went into the office today for the soul purpose of donating plasma. The blood bank had called to see if I had time to come in - I asked if they had a time Wednesday - they did. Sorted. 

The preparation was done. Loads of water was drunk over the prior 24 hours. I ate to the schedule required (They ask you to eat something reasonably substantial and savoury in the three hours before the donation). 

I got to the blood bank on time. The registration went well. The time with the nurse who checked my haemoglobin and blood pressure went well. 

They got me in the plasma chair. The position was assumed - arm out, legs crossed. 

The phlebotomist searched for a vein. She was warned that I have shy veins, but once the needle is in, there normally aren't any problems.

They put the needle in my left arm. 

I looked down.

Nothing was coming out. 

Oops. 

She called over a colleague. They had a look. 

As I was giving plasma, they recommended trying the other arm. If you're going to have a needle in your arm for around 45 minutes with fluids going in and out over that time, you don't want leaks. 

So, the needle was taken out, apologies were given, and I was moved to another chair where the plasma machine was set up for the other arm. 

Another phlebotomist came and had a poke around the crook of my arm. He called over another colleague. They had a go happy with what they found. 

They needle went in. 

Nothing came out. 

They apologised. It was a miss. And as they have a two strikes you're out policy, I was told to book again in another week (Well, two for me as I'm getting my flu shot next week) 


At the blood bank. Boots by Harley Davidson. 

So, I went back to the office. No sausage rolls. No milkshake. Both arms were wrapped up in the funky green bandages they have on the go at the moment. 

And I'll go again in a few weeks. 

On a more serious note, if you can donate blood, please make arrangements to do so. Currently, the blood bank is short of blood and blood products. Winter is kicking the butt of the storages. It's a great community service. It doesn't hurt. It doesn't take long. And you're doing something good for the community. 

As it was explained to me as a child, when my Mum used to take us along when she donated blood - there may be a time when you need blood.  If you donate blood, it's good karma for you if you ever need it. 

My father had numerous heart operations. My niece had leukaemia. My family has depleted the blood bank over the years. 

It's nice to pay it back and pay it forward. 


Today's song: 

No comments: