Sunday, June 25, 2023

Sunday Stealing: The Usual Questions

 It's Sunday. I'm off to a performance of The Crucible in a bit. There's a pot of pumpkin soup cooking on the stove. The cat is sitting next to me wanting treats. Let's get these questions out of the way. 

Questions have been provided, as always, by Bev at Sunday Stealing

1. Would you rather ride a bike, ride a horse, or drive a car?

I'd rather drive a car. You can't fall off of a car, and as much as I love horses to talk to, they're a bit unpredctable. Besides, I love to drive. 

2. Who is your favorite author?

Oh, that's a toss up between Louis de Bernieres and Maggie O'Farrell. Both are incredible, detailed and draw great characters. 

3. Would you rather vacation in Hawaii or Alaska, and why?

Probably Alaska. Fewer tourists, not as hot. 

4. If you could go back in time, what year would you travel to?

I'm really interested in Britain from about 1915 through to 1945. There's something about the zeitgeist of this time. Drop me in there, but keep me away from the bombs. 

5.  What's your favorite zoo animal?

I love all animals, but when I go to Melbourne Zoo, I always spend a lot of time in the seal house. They've very entertaining. 

6.  What's the tallest building you've been to the top of? 

I made it to the top of the Empire State Building in 1999. I never made it to the top of the Twin Towers on that trip unfortunately. I've also been up the Eureka Tower in Melbourne, which at 88 storey's high was the tallest building in the Southern Hemisphere at the time. It's since been eclipsed by a similarly sized tower that's a bit taller. There's also one slightly taller in the Gold Coast now, but we don't talk about Queensland...

7. How often do you buy clothes?

Every couple of months. I get a lot of clothes secondhand off of Facebook Marketplace. I've got a brand I like and there are some really good groups there that onsell clothes. 

8. What was the last thing you recorded on TV?

I have no idea. I watch most of my television via streaming. I can't remember the last time I used my DVD recorder - though I still have one plugged in. 

9.  What was the last book you read?

I finished Kate Atkinson's Shrines of Gaiety in the car on the way to Blarney's today. Great book. Last week I finished Maggie O'Farrell's The Marriage Portrait. Also fabulous. 

10. What's your favorite type of foreign food?

I will try almost anything, but Spanish, Vietnamese and French foods are firm favourites. 

11. What kitchen appliance do you use every day?

That would be my little Italian stove top coffee maker. Cheaper than a big coffee machine and far more reliable. 



12. How old were you when you learned Santa wasn't real? How did you find out?

I was five-years-old. The neighbours down the road, who were Jehovah's Witnesses told me. They didn't celebrate Christmas and couldn't see why we should have all the fun. 

13.  What was your favorite subject in school?

English and French. But I also liked Maths and Chemistry. I was a bit weird like that. 

14. What's the most unusual thing you've ever eaten?

Choose one of the following: 

  • Pickled herring (Swedish flatmates in London)
  • Swedish "sweets" (They're salty - also courtesy of the Swedish flatmates)
  • Durian (In Malaysia)
  • Various things in a Malaysian Hawkers Market - tasted good but no idea what it was.
  • I'm partial to a kangaroo steak - but this is not unusual in Australia
  • Turtle chips - but these aren't made of turtles. 
  • I'm very fond of Steak Tartare (Raw steak). 
  • Philly Cheesesteak. It's odd stuff that. 
  • And I really like Australian botanicals which you can only get here. Things like finger limes, lemon myrtle and Davison plums. 

15. What's your favorite family recipe?

My grandmother's yoyo biscuit recipe. It makes the best yoyos/melting moment biscuits. 




Today's song: 

5 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

You have a VERY expansive palate!

Lisa said...

Inquiring minds (or mine, at least!!) want to know what is your favorite brand of clothes?

Bev Sykes said...

What did you think of Durian? A group of us bought one to taste and we all hated it.

Kwizgiver said...

I'm a Maggie O'Farrell fan, too!

Allstarme79 said...

I would try just about any weird food too; just never have the chance to.