Thursday, June 1, 2023

Push It

 It's the last time I post a photo of my new trainer on Facebook. 

I just wanted to say thank you for letting me test my boundaries on a night when Jay was off doing something with her football club. When Jay's away I get to do some more challenging stuff, and Twelve, as we call him, was happy to oblige.

Tonight was heavy night.

I asked if I could do some chest presses - and not with dicky weights. Part of this was egged on by my old P.E. teacher who lives in Darwin. A sprightly septuagenarian, she's still pushing weights, and was very proud of her bench pressing 35 kgs. 

35 kilos is about the same weight as an adult labrador. 

I've not tested myself on the bench press for a while. 

We started out with a 20 kilo bar. 12 reps. Too easy. 

Then another 10 kilos was added to the bar. 12 reps. Sure, it was a bit heavier, but I could do it. 

The question I get asked is how many more could you do? I said five or six. 

Finally, that extra five kilos was added. And yeah, it feels like you're pushing a labrador off your belly, but I got out a further two sets of ten reps. 

That will do.

One of the great things about getting a new trainer is adapting to the way they train you. Where Cleo keeps us moving, Twelve is more about heavier weights and form. 

The benchmark has been set - it's onwards and upwards from here. 

And a number of heavy sets for a an aging chick is not a bad thing at all. They recommend women keep up with strength training. It staves off arthritis, and keeps your bone density and mobility, ups your metabolism and stops your muscles from weaking. 

I've got no intention of stopping weight training. 

Today's song: 



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You go girl