Tuesday, June 4, 2024

Freestyle Evenings

 There is something to say of business trips to Darwin, where there is music, and beer, and easy company. 

Being away from home brings the opportunity to do different things, particularly as the weather is warm and dry and life appears to be pretty good. 

My evening started after work, when I donned my exercise gear and a pair of runners and did a lap of the Darwin Waterfront, fulfilling my need for some exercise. I've made a pact with myself to do at least an hour's exercise or 10,000 steps a day. It's nearly midnight and my watch says I've done nearly 14000 steps, so this requirement is fulfilled. 

On the way back to the hotel, I grabbed some dinner - a Subway wrap. A healthy version with grilled chicken and lots of vegetables. Cheap and easy dinner.

Then it was a quick visit to the Smith Street gym to see what sort of FIFO packages they have going. I was quite pleased as I miss the gym while I'm up here and there's a decent package that runs over six weeks which will fit the bill. Just being able to go to a gym while I'm up here would be great. 

Then home. Eat the Subway wrap. Have a quick shower. Dress. Then head out to a dodgy bar down Mitchell Street for some live music with a colleague. We were joined by his boss and the big boss. 

Beer is a great leveler. 

It's difficult to get drunk on beer. 

And in the warmth of a Darwin night, just sitting in a dodgy bar, drinking beer, not talking about work was great. 

There were no plans, other than to see whoever was on at The Tap. 

And that was the night. 

Coming home, we watched as some happy, tiddly backpackers drive a couple of girls along a shopping trolley along the footpath.

"Youth is wasted on the young," my colleague reminded me. 

"But in our youth we wouldn't have had such a fun, mellow night."

True. 


Today's song:



No comments: