Thursday, August 29, 2024

Done Well

 In the background this afternoon, the Paris Paralympics opening ceremony broadcasting on the television in the background.

My biggest takeaway from the hours long ceremony is that this was displaying some of the best of humanity


I avoided the Olympics for the most part. I get rather irritated that all of these people and paid millions to compete in what was supposed to be amateur games. The Olympics haven't been for amateurs for years. 

The Paralympics are a different kettle of worms. People with what are perceived as disabilities competing on a world stage. 

It makes my heart sing. 

What I really enjoyed about the opening ceremony, which took athletes from the Arc de Triomph to the Place de la Concorde, with the Eiffel Tower glowing in the background. 

The dancers were a mix of able-bodied and mixed ability, but they were fantastic. 

One fellow, Musa Motha, a South African dance, lead the dancing near the end of the ceremony. He was incredible.                                                                                                                                                      


For me, the Paralympics truly encompasses the Olympic spirit. People going out there and showing their abilities. Less bullshit and even more heart. 

And I'm hoping there won't be the dwelling on the medal tally on every broadcast for the next eleven days. 

I can live in hope. 

Today's song:



No comments: