Sunday, March 31, 2019

The Thought Provoking Questions Part II

Last weekend of travel for a month. Writing this quickly from my hotel room in Sydney. To say that I am happy to have a few weekends coming up at home is an understatement. I'm a bit sick of airports.

Questions, as always, from Bev at Sunday Stealing.

1. If you had to teach something, what would you teach?

I think I could teach writing. I've been thinking about taking on some tutoring undergraduates at college - thinking about it anyway. It's all about time - time I don't have at the moment.

2. What would you regret not fully doing, being or having in your life?

Friends. I'd be cactus without my friends.

3. Are you holding onto something that you need to let go of?

Excess weight. Feelings for somebody that doesn't deserve them. My flute. My skinny clothes.

4. When you are 80-years-old, what will matter to you the most?

That my mind is still active, my eyesight lets me read and I have my friends and my health.

5. When is it time to stop calculating risk and rewards and just do what you know is right?

Most of the time. As somebody who is good at taking calculated risks, I'm fully aware that your gut is rarely wrong.

6. How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you are?

Late 30s, early 40s. I'd make some very different choices now, looking back.

7. Would you break the law to save a loved one?

Probably.

8. What makes you smile?

Lots of things. Puppies, kittens, babies,  people doing nice things, when the Crows win, good food. good gin, my daft workmates... this is just the start. I like to smile

9. When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

I hope not. I like to do.

10. If you had the opportunity to get a message across to a large group of people, what would your message be?

Be kind. Look after the planet. Stop staring at your own navels and start looking about you.

11. If the average human lifespan was 40 years, how would you live your life differently? 

I'd take a lot more risks, speak out more and have a lot more fun early on.

12. What do we all have in common besides our genes that makes us human?

We all need shelter, food and comfort. We all put on our trousers and pants one leg at a time. We are all going to die one day.

13. If you could choose one book as a mandatory read for all high school students, which book would you choose?

Probably Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird. I would like to say Charlotte Wood's The Natural Way of Things, but that would go over most high school student's head I think. Angie Thomas' The Hate You Give, is also excellent with fantastic messages.

14. Would you rather have less work or more work you actually enjoy doing?

I'd probably say more work I enjoy. I like being busy.

15. What is important enough to go to war over?

I'm not sure there is any reason important enough to go to war. I'm a pacifist. It's certainly not oil.

16. Which is worse, failing or never trying?

Never trying. You never know if you never try.

17. When was the last time you listened to the sound of your own breathing?

Last night, as I was trying to go to sleep in this hotel room. I was asleep in minutes.

18. What’s something you know you do differently than most people?

I can only use scissors in my left hand. I can put on mascara without opening my mouth.

19. What does ‘The American Dream’ mean to you?

It's a bit of a pipe dream. I'm Australian - it means very little to me other than I see a lot of people chasing it and it often seems a bit unrealistic.

20. Would you rather be a worried genius or a joyful simpleton?

Not that I'm a genius, but being fairly intelligent, I worry all the time. It would be nice to see what it is like to not think. What do they say? Ignorance is bliss?

Today's song:


5 comments:

Lori said...

I am with you on Be Kind! I do not know why people have to be so ugly to one another Loved your answers! Have a great day!

https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

CountryDew said...

Yep, we are all going to die one day. Something everyone needs to keep in mind but most seem to forget.

zippiknits...sometimes said...

I'd forgotten how few lefties there were.. so yes, the scissors in the left hand. *waves to her left handed friend*.

Be Kind is a great answer! And I'll be thinking of you these next few weeks running up to the election. We need a new planet, one where the Goddess Isis rules or something.... ;o)

Stacy said...

I couldn't pick just one, but To Kill a Mockingbird is an excellent choice. Go Set a Watchman was good in its own way but I was heartbroken it knocked Atticus off his pedestal.

J Lenni Dorner said...

To Kill a Mockingbird got a lot of votes this week.
Good answers.