Monday, March 11, 2019

Travelog 4: New Territories

Yesterday saw me take myself out of the city and into the New Territories, heading North towards China, out to the suburbs to see a  temple which has had me intrigued for a while. For me, say New Territories and my mind goes all Hunger Games and dystopian ramblings.

The Sha Tin monastery is a known site, but its a bit out of the way, a trip in a different direction, about 25 minutes out of town. It's a place where you don't see that many tourists. It's not overrun, more a place to contemplate.

Just my sort of temple.

I knew three things about this temple. 1) It is a bit hard to find. 2) It's up a big hill and 3) There are lots of Buddhas lining the way.

The train out to Sha Tin only took 20 minutes. I couldn't see any other tourists on the train. Having found some instructions on the the web, it should be an easy find.  Take Exit B, down the ramp, past the traditional houses, left onto Pai Tau Street, right onto Sheung Wo Che Street and through the bamboo at the end of the road.

I'd never have found the place without the directions. I mean seriously, this big temple complex is really at the back of a home wares shopping centre complete with its own Ikea.

Yep.

Such a welcoming entrance. Would you go here if you didn't know where you were going?

Image may contain: tree, plant, outdoor and nature

(I started singing The Teddy Bear's Picnic going through these gates)

Another twist and turn and I found a group of Americans looking up the hill at the big trail of Buddhas wending their way upwards.

Image may contain: 1 person, plant and outdoor

Yep, these guys line the way  - all the way to the top of the hill. Every one of them is different.

As I'm carting around the last vestiges of a leg injury, and the drizzle turned into intermittent showers, it was a slow climb to the top, stopping along the way to contemplate the funny faces and the views on the side of the way.

Image may contain: 1 person, outdoor
It was an entertaining two hours spent here, just looking around. The exercise was welcome and the spiritual nature of the place was not lost on me.

Image may contain: 1 person, outdoor

At the top of the hill rests a monastery complex, a number of temples, none of which they let you photograph, some monkeys - which for me is a good reason to get the hell out of there - and some stunning views of the steep hills in the distance. Staying for a while, a steady drizzle about, I just wandered and contemplated. I'm pretty sure there was a funeral service being held in one of the temples. I let that one rest. I find it fascinating watching from a distance as people pray. Why are they praying? Why do they light incense and bow three times - some do more, some less. Who are the gods at the front of the temple? There are always a green one, a brown one and a red one - they look quite menacing. I have some reading to do.

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, standing, sky, tree, outdoor and nature

There was also a variation on a theme at the top. Replacing the Buddhas were Kuan Yins for a section. I like Kuan Yin - I often find myself talking to her on the way home from work at the Vietnamese temple just down the way at home.
Image may contain: 4 people, sky and outdoor

As the drizzle would not let up and the steps were slippery, I started the long, slow climb down the hill. As before, I took my time, contemplating the Buddhas, making sure I didn't fall. Again, with a recovering leg injury, best to take it carefully.

Making it back to the valley, behind the shopping complex and the bamboo grove, I noticed the rubbish piling up at the entrance of the place. It was pointed out by an expat local that this place had no money put into it. Nobody was going to clear the rubbish, except on the designated rubbish day. This wasn't a real attraction. Monks lived at the monastery. They were good enough to let visitors come and explore.

If and when I come back to Hong Kong, I'm coming back here. I just liked the peace of the place. It provided a challenge, some serenity and a lot of entertainment. I also wouldn't like to do it on a hot day. This walk is an effort. Not a huge one, but it reminded me of the 1000 steps at home - just with nicer steps and more Buddhas.

I love going off the beaten track, even if only for a morning.

Back in town a bit later, I found a decent dumpling place for a late lunch, finding the best prawn dumplings I've had in years. A visit to the Shangri-La for a friend left me feeling a bit strange - I'm not used to walking into five star hotels in runners looking like a wet cat. They were nice to me. I have to go back tomorrow to see if I can source something for a friend as the business centre was closed.

I wandered back home, via the Nathan Road, the Jade markets and the Kowloon Gardens. And that was my day. Getting back around seven, I crashed for the night. Didn't bother with dinner, still full from lunch.

Though not much got done, it was a great day.

So today, the plans are as follows, being my last full day here.

  • Victoria Peak seeing that it's not raining for a change. 
  • The Admiralty and Causeway Bay area
  • Maybe another ride on the Star Ferry and the Tram.
  • Maybe dinner at the local Tim Ho Wan in Kowloon (an American I met tipped me off that there were multiple locations and there is one about ten minutes walk away)
  • Maybe another spin around the Ladies Market.
I like it here. I want to come back. 



Today's song:


1 comment:

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Pand,

I stayed in the New Territories during my initial stays in Hong Kong near Tuen Mun.

The temple looks amazing.

If you are heading towards Admiralty and Causeway Bay, you have to visit Wan Chai too.

The noon day gun in Causeway Bay is worth a visit too. It fires every day at noon (obviously) and is quite loud. It's near to the Excelsior Hotel.

Hope the weather improves so you can visit Victoria Peak.

Cheers

:o)

PM