Sunday, May 31, 2020

More Conversation Starters

Another weekend in semi-lockdown. We're starting to come out of being cooped up, slowly and carefully. Cafes are opening for limited trade tomorrow. Still not going into the office for at least another two months - then I think it will be limited time there. We're all working from home so well anyway. It saves on a lot of costs this working from home.

Regardless, I'm glad I'm here an not anywhere else in the world at the moment.

Right, on with the questions, provided, as always, by Bev at Sunday Stealing.

1. What do you think is the greatest television show of all time?

Oh do I have to choose one? I'll give you three.
  • Six Feet Under (Sublime telly)
  • The West Wing (I learned a lot about American politics from this show)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Incredible writing - but few believe me)
2. Would you rather win a Nobel Prize or an Academy Award?

I could go an Academy Award for scriptwriting - that would be cool. Nobel Prizes are good, but I don't know if I have the brain power to think of something that would win one.

3. What one food would you banish from this earth if you could?

The thing about banishing foods is that there is somebody out there who likes it. I would get rid of those wet markets across the world which deal in live exotic animals for food. Seriously, we don't need those any more.

4. What’s the scariest story you’ve ever heard?

Trump and Boris Johnson taking power. Both are very scary stories.

5. Who is the most famous person you have ever met?

I bummed a cigarette of Jeremy Clarkson in London. That's about as famous as I go.

6. What’s something you’ve done that most people wouldn’t know or guess about you?

I lived illegally in another country for six years. A lot of people know this about me, but you wouldn't guess it.

7. You’re strapped in a rocket ship about to go to the moon. Are you thrilled? Or terrified?

A bit of both. I think I'd be thrilled to be an astronaut - I wanted to be one as a kid.

8. What is the correct way for toilet paper to sit on the holder?

With the tail at the front. Any other way is sacrilege.

Image result for only way for toilet paper

9. Talk about a mistake you made, or something you regret.

I think the last job I took before this one was a big mistake. This job is great, two jobs before that, at an insurance company, had its challenges, but had good bits too - I made great friends. The job I had before this one was stressful, strange and full of people I didn't really click with. I was exhausted after the four months I was there. It wasn't fun. In hindsight, staying on at the insurance company may have been a better move.

10. What would be the best gift I could give you?

The gift of an extra two hours of writing time in the day.

11. What makes you feel better when you’re sad or stressed?

Exercising. Excercise in any form, but walking and swimming in particular work a treat.

12. What is the most romantic movie you’ve ever seen?

This is going to be a bit contentious, but Call Me By Your Name is incredible. Not everybody's first choice, but it is incredible.

A couple of other contenders for me:

  • Bull Durham
  • Once
  • An Affair to Remember
  • Before Sunrise / Before Sunset
  • Brokeback Mountain

13. What is the worst date you’ve ever been on?

I have been on many bad dates, but the one that springs to mind is the one at the museum with the guy form Coburg. After five minutes in his presence he said to me, "So, you're one of those brainy chicks." Yeah, right, next. I lasted an hour with him looking over an Egyptian exhibition, then took my leave.

14. What is the glue that keeps couples together?

I have no idea? Love? Security? The despair that they've settled and don't want to do that again.

15.  What was your first crush.

Mark Holden. I was six. I've never had any taste in me. Next...

Image result for mark holden

16. When did your parents talk to you about the birds and the bees?

I think mum gave me a book at around eleven or twelve. I lived on a farm growing up so I was onto the mechanics of it all pretty early.

17. What is your greatest achievement?

I like to think getting my Masters was a pretty big thing. Running five half marathons is also pretty amazing for me too.

18. Were you close to your parents growing up?

Not really. It's a long tale I don't want to get into at the moment.

19. What was the most life-changing event you’ve ever experienced?

Stepping foot on English soil. I felt like I was home for the very first time. I get that feeling every time I go back.

20. Have you ever had a falling out with a friend? What happened?

I've had the odd falling out with friends. Some have gone through natural progression, but one that comes to mind is a friend I had in England. He came to live in Australia two years later. He was in Melbourne for a while, then moved to Sydney. We stayed in touch. He was at my 40th. He made friends with my friends. I was the first person he called when his father died back in England. About a year later he fell off the planet. He moved back to Europe, but he ceased all contact, not saying goodbye or anything - to me and my friends. Cut off social media, the works. I've got no idea what happened. Our mutual friends remember him every so often - but such is life.

Today's Song:


7 comments:

Bev Sykes said...

Someone else likes "Affair to Remember" !

songbird's crazy world said...

I love your answers to 3 and 4. We have the same answer for #8

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Pand,

"So, you're one of those brainy chicks."

That brings back memories of a female friend who hated that word. We were working with Americans one of whom said "Oh - so you're Fred's chick!" to her. The look of utter disgust on her face still makes me laugh today. I was in trouble for laughing :o(

:o)

Cheers

PM

Stacy said...

Extra hours in the day would, indeed, be a wonderful gift!
#20...I hate when a relationship/friendship goes that way. I need closure! I guess that's why I've never and will never do that to anyone.

LA Paylor said...

from one brainy chick to another... lol, nice to meet you
yes to 4, and I forgot an affair to remember... so romantic...LeeAnna at not afraid of color

Kwizgiver said...

Great TV shows--I went way back with my choice, though.

CountryDew said...

Buffy does indeed have fantastic writing. It is one of my favorite shows - I have all 7 seasons on DVD. The last season was a bit erratic, but otherwise it was a special show. I also thought Xena: Warrior Princess was a good show (yes, I know it was a weird show, but still . . .) but didn't choose either because I went with something that I thought would have broader appeal.