Sunday, May 17, 2020

The Ty and Logan Questions

Too much to do today. I have a Pump Class over Zoom in an hour, here in my living room. I've got a cake in the oven to take over to Blarney's later. The cat is asleep on the bed, I have to get 2000 words to my tutor later today and of course, I will go and see the Maow Maow. All too busy really.

Questions, as always, from Bev at Sunday Stealing.

1. Where did your name come from

My name is Latinate. It was also one of the most popular names in Australia the year I was born. There were six of us in a school of 100 kids when I was in primary school. I also have the same initials as my maternal grandmother.

2. Where were you born?

Adelaide, Australia

3. What was your house like, growing up?

Before we moved to the country we lived in a one story, cream brick affair in the suburbs on a quarter acre like everybody else. It was a newish house, my parents building it in their first year of marriage. When we moved to the country, we had a three bedroom fibro clad house with a big veranda on forty acres. The house was dilapidated when we moved in, but Mum did it up very nicely.

4. What was your childhood bedroom like?

I had the sleep out - and enclosed veranda. 22 foot long and six foot wide. It was the thoroughfare to the laundry and toilet. It wasn't insulated. C'est la guerre.

5. Did you travel as a child? Where?

We didn't really travel when I was a kid. There was the odd caravanning holiday. I remember going to Kangaroo Island when I was five, and we did a driving holiday to Queensland one year, but travel really wasn't something you did when I was a child. I've travelled a lot since my twenties. I didn't leave the country until I was seventeen, when we went to New Zealand on a family holiday.

6. Write about your grandparents

I knew all four of them. My Dad's Dad was a butcher. He smoked two packs a day and died of lung cancer in his late sixties. My Dad's Mum was an interesting woman. Years in a loveless marriage wore her down. She was a pillar of the community. Died at 72 from heart troubles. My Mum's Dad was a postmaster who lived around rural Australia running the post offices in regional centres. He loved woodwork and the water. Died in his early eighties. He was stern but lovely. My Mum's Mum was a character. Youngest daughter of six who until she married, was shipped around to her brothers to look after their kids. She was the grandparent I had most to do with. She died at 104. A real character.

7. Who taught you how to drive?

I learned to drive a tractor when I was about ten. Dad taught me to drive a car when I was fourteen, but I did some classes in Adelaide when I got my licence at sixteen to get a bit more finesse.

8. When did you first leave home?

At seventeen, when I went to university.

9. What did your parents do for work?

Dad ran a shop until we moved to the country, where he did odd jobs. Mum was a nurse.

10. Who inspired you as you matured?

My Uncle John was a father figure. He's in the last gasps of his life over in South Australia. I've always had a thing for Shakespeare. As for inspiry - Gough Whitlam and Nelson Mandela have always been idols of mine.

11. What was the best part of your 20s?

Living in London. I still miss the place.

12. What as the best part of your 30s?

Finding myself and fixing a lot of difficulties.

13. Where is the most fascinating place you’ve visited

I've been to plenty of fascinating places, but the one that springs to mind is the Mutter Museum in Philadephia. I went with my uncle. It's amazing.

Image result for mutter museum

14. What is your favorite family story?

There are a lot of strange family stories, but I do love the one where we got my grandmother drunk one Christmas when I was a kid. Grandma was a teetotaler.

15. What was your most memorable birthday?

Spending my 50th in Bali with friends was really awesome.

16. What was your favorite food as a child?

Ice cream. It still is my favourite food.


Today's song: Brought to you by the 30 Day Song Challenge

Day 24: A song by a band you wish were still together


7 comments:

Susan said...

How cool to spend your 50th in Bali! I love icecream but I can't eat it anymore. Nice that you knew your grandparents, so did I.

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Pand,

That museum looks weird - not my cup of tea (but then I am very squeamish).

104 - what an age to reach. Amazing.

:o)

Cheers

PM

Stacy said...

I live in Pennsylvania and used to have a lot of family in Philadelphia, but I've never been to that museum. Can't say I've ever even heard of it.

songbird's crazy world said...

I will have to check out that museum next time I'm in Philly

CountryDew said...

104! That's a long life. Sounds well-lived, too.

Lori said...

I would love to go spend my 50th birthday somewhere. How fun! Glad you have that memory! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

http://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

Bev Sykes said...

My heavens. What a museum!