Sunday, June 6, 2021

Let's Go to Dinner

 Lockdown: Day Ten

Mood: Fair - a little bit exasperated. 

Lockdown is easier to bear when it's cold and damp outside. Okay, I don't like wearing a mask while walking, but it's okay, a minor inconvenience. As long as I get a chat with somebody, once a day, preferably face to face, I'm fine. Hopefully the restrictions will ease on Thursday. We're hoping they will anyway.

Questions, as always, come from Bev at Sunday Stealing


1. When is the last time you went out to a meal with someone special? Tell us about it.

Ergh, I've had some lovely meals out over the last while, but the last time I went out to dinner with "somebody special" was probably with him in Sydney and that was at least two years ago. I remember one time going to a high-end Mexican place in Sydney, Mejico. (Oh, good to see there is one in Melbourne now). I love Mexican food. He hated anything with spice (i.e. chilli, coriander (cilantro) and pretty much anything hotter than cinnamon). He sat all night eating the guacamole they make at the table, complaining about how the spices leeched into the food from the pans. From my opinion, nothing was remotely hot. Their patatas bravas were incredible. 

We were never meant to last. I can't go out with somebody who can't do at least a little spice again. Life is boring without spice. 

2. Show us a picture of your favorite cuisine.


French food is the bomb. Find about, tarte tatin. Love it. Love anything French. They use lots of butter. Butter is good. 

If it can't be French, the Spanish or Vietnamese food. Love them both for very different reasons and flavours. 

3. What is the funniest thing a man/woman has said to you lately?

There isn't much to laugh about in Melbourne at the moment as we are in lockdown. I think somebody said to me that they thought the Prime Minister was doing a good job. I could have spat my beer over him. I had to laugh. The Prime Minister is a lying, shady, incompetent baboon. 

4. What makes a gentleman a gentleman in today’s dating world? Are there any left?

Oh, don't talk to me abuot dating. I'm not ready to do that again yet. Middle-aged Australian men are really not that inspiring. But I think if you can a man who listens to you, then you're on your way. They are around. They're rare, but you have to weed them out. If they're considerate of your needs, then you're on your way. I'm not sure what we thought a gentleman was in the days of yore - the man who opens doors for you, pulls your chair out etc - not sure if they still exist. Somebody who is kind and considerate - that works for me. 

5. Is there anything you won’t tolerate when out to dinner with your significant other?

If they're rude to the waiting stuff, they're done. I can't abide that. 

6. What type of ambiance do you enjoy in an eating establishment?

I don't have a preferred ambiance - but critical is to be able to hear my dinner companions' conversation. Stylish and fairly minimal with comfortable chairs is always a bonus too.  

7. Tell us about the worst public dining experience you ever had, whether it be a date or with your family.

I think we had a book group once where the food was terrible and the staff were overly chatty, trying to butt in and interupting our session. The restaurant used to be good, but the food just kept on getting worse and worse over a couple of months until it was just greasy and inedible. The restaurant is no longer there - we go somewhere else now. 

8. What is the lamest or rudest thing a man/woman has said to you lately?

The lamest thing? Anybody waiting for vaccinations who are entitled to them, but are thinking of holding off - sorry, that's just lame. I'm sick of being in lockdown. Vaccinations are our way out of having these happen again and again. 

9. Are you a good tipper?

No. But there is a reason for this. In Australia, our waiting staff are paid a living wage - so unless we're going high end and/or the service is really, really good, I tend to pay menu price. But for really good service, a tip will be left. It's the big difference between Australia and America. People's livelihoods do not depend on them.  

10. Do you ask for doggie bags when you leave food on your plate at a restaurant?

Depends on what it is, but sometimes. If there is a lot left over, then yes. 

11. What is your pet peeve about restaurants and dining out in general?

 A big one in Melbourne is not being able to book a table at the more popular restaurants in the city. There are a lot of great restaurants which you have to queue to get a meal at - places like Chin Chin, Supernormal and my favourite, Cumulus Inc. You have to get there early, or stand on the footpath for hours to get fed. I don't queue for restaurant food. Unless it's a place you can book or walk straight into, I won't go there. 

12. Do you prefer to order yourself or do you ever let your significant other order for you?

I order for myself unless it's a group, sharing arrangement when I'll let the table work out what we're having. Very occassionally I'll say that I don't want to choose and let somebody else pick for me, but that's pretty rare. 

13. Describe your most intimate romantic dinner ever. (fantasy or real)

I'd be happy with a tasting platter in front of an open fire. But you could also take me our for a really great degustation meal - one where you get dressed up and just bliss out on the amazing food and wine - something to aspire to after this lockdown. As I've never experienced this, it's hard to envisage it. 

14. Do you enjoy piano bars?

Generally, yes, but it's been years since I've been to one - in fact, the last time I think I went to a piano bar was on Mykonos in Greece in 2003. 

15. If you could go anywhere in the world for dinner, where would it be and who would you be with?

I'm not sure if it's still open, but I'd love to go to Heston Blumenthal's Fat Duck restaurant in England. I'd go with anybody who could to afford to go with me. 

Today's song:

7 comments:

Bev Sykes said...

I've never been to a French restaurant, I don't think. In fact, I can't think of a French restaurant. I love Mexican and Chinese food and we have many of those restaurants here in Davis...also Thai and Sushi, but no French. I'd love anything cooked with lots of butter.

Kwizgiver said...

One of my favorite things to do while traveling is to find out-of-the-way restaurants where the "real" local cuisine is prepared. Some of my best meals were off the beaten path!

The Gal Herself said...

One of my favorite little French spots in Chicago, Toni's Patisserie, closed. It depended on office workers for much of its business, and with so many of us working from home, they just couldn't squeak by anymore. Too bad. The baked goods were divine, but I especially appreciated the sandwiches. The baguettes! It's like you said: butter.

2003 may have been the last time I was in a piano bar, too. But I was on the other side of the world -- Key West, FL. I think piano bars may be a fad that's time has passed.

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Pand,

I love Mexican food too whether it is hot or not.

"The Prime Minister is a lying, shady, incompetent baboon." - so is ours, Pand. :o)

#8 - I totally affree. I simply don't understand the mentality of people who won't have the jab. If they are scared then that is okay - they just need somebody to be with them to reassure them. But those who spread conspiracy theories just need to be slapped.

Not sure that I would go the Heston Blumenthal's restaurant to be honest. It's just a little weird for me - and expense and weirdness do not go together too well in my quest for a good night out.

Good song by Prince.

:o)

Cheers

PM

Me, Myself, and I said...

Terrible you're in lockdown again. I totally agree--get the damn vaccine already!

Lori said...

I am so sorry you are still in lockdown. I got my vaccination in April...both rounds. I was so excited to do it. I work at a school and the district did a vaccination clinic, so I just went to the library in the building I work at after school and did it and went home. It was easy. Loved your answers! Have a nice day!

https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

Kim said...

Vietnamese food is among my favorites. If I could have nothing else but pho for the rest of my life, I'd be fine!

http://inmywords.kimdeister.com/2021/06/06/sunday-stealing-lets-go-to-dinner/