Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Holiday Planning

The flight has been booked and paid for. 

The insurance is booked and paid for. 

The loose plan is in place. 

I love planning holidays. 

So here's the rough plan. 

Arrive in Christchurch late on a January Thursday night. Get a hotel room near the airport for the night so Geetangeli and Richard can stay in bed. I get in really late.

Friday and Saturday are being spent with them in Christchurch. It's their 30th wedding anniversary party - that's the big reason I'm going over for - but with flights so expensive, this is no longer a long weekend trip. 

Sunday, after breakfast, it's time to pick up a hire car and go for a drive. 

First stop, Dunedin. I remember going there when I was about seventeen and remembered it was one of the most beautiful places I'd ever been. 

Then drive to Te Anau, in the West, spending two nights there, with a day trip to Milford Sound on the day in the middle - I'll let someobdy else do the driving that day. I've just booked a hotel which has a hot tub in the courtyard for two nights on the bank of Lake Te Anau. I love the thought of reading a book with a gin and tonic in a hot tub under the stars. 

The next stop will be Queenstown for a night - have a look around there - maybe have a Fergburger. I've got an old colleague living here. If they are around, maybe catch up with them. 

Then back to Christchurch for one last night with Geetangeli before driving myself to the airport and going home. 


Sure, it's a lot of driving.  Yes, there are lots of places I'd like to go as well - Nelson, Greymouth, Invercargill...Yes, I'd like to be sharing this with somebody, but I've always been of the opinion that if I don't do this by myself I'd never go anywhere. And being a contractor, if I don't work, I don't get paid.

But a week off, when we have a public holiday during the week - why not?

Besides, I love to drive. 






No comments: