Sunday, September 4, 2022

Sunday Stealing: Movies

 Oh, I love a good movie quiz. These are the best. Just don't ask me to stop at one per category. I've seen 32 movies already this year. Yes, I'm a film buff. 

Thanks to Bev at Sunday Stealing for the great questions. 

1. Best movie you saw during the last year.

Ah, I've just re-read the question and it's in the last year. My two standouts from the films I've seen this year are Licorice Pizza and Everything, Everywhere, All at Once.  With Juniper and Good Luck to You, Leo Grande are also a stand outs.Very different films, but all three are stunning. 


2. The most underrated movie.

I love Logan Lucky. Not many people know about this film, but I love it. It's my sense of humour. It's also go Daniel Craig in a onesie, with a suntan playing a bank robber. It's grouse. It's a go to cheer me up film. Love it. 

3. Favorite love story in a movie.

Bull Durham. Crash and Annie. It's just gorgeous.

4. The most surprising plot twist or ending.

Ah, that would be in a little known or seen Australian movie called Japanese Story. Something happens in that which you have absolutely no idea about. The event turns everything on its head. 

5. A movie that makes you really happy.

Little Miss Sunshine. Another completely awesome film. 

6. A movie that makes you sad.

Oh, that one goes to Atonement. I love the book, but I almost love the film more. Such a waste...

7. Favorite made for TV movie

I can't say I have one of those, mainly as very few of them are screened on terrestrial telly over here. One of my favourite movies which has only been streamed over here was The Two Popes. Loved that. 

8. A movie you’ve seen countless times.

Here are a few I've seen too many times to count:

  • The Princess Bride
  • The Rocky Horror Picture Show
  • To Catch a Thief
  • Sabrina
  • Brannagh's Henry V

9. A movie with the best soundtrack

The Big Chill stands out as one of these. Almost Famous is another. Grosse Point Blank is another. All are brilliant. 

10. Favorite classic movie

That's going to be a toss up between Casablanca (it never gets old), High Society and Breakfast at Tiffany's. I like old films, but I've seen all of these many times. They're all fabulous. 

11. A movie that you hate.

I'm not a fan of horror films. I really didn't like Se7en. I had nightmares for days after seeing that. 

12. A movie that changed your opinion about something.

The Truman Show changed my view on Jim Carrey. He was great in that. 

13. A character you can relate to the most.

Unfortunately it's two of Emma Thompson's characters. Maggie from Peter's Friends and Nancy from Good Luck to You, Leo Grande

14. A movie that is a guilty pleasure

There are too many to state, but when I need something light to watch, I put on the Harrison Ford version of Sabrina. It's cute. 

15. Favorite movie based on a book/comic

I have a few of these. Atonement. The Harry Potter Books. The Marvel Universe. I'm not sure I can name a favourite. 

16. A movie that disappointed you the most

I found Where the Crawdads Sing really disappointing - mind you, I didn't overly rate the book, but this just missed the mark. 

17. A movie from your favorite actor/actress

I love Clive Owen, so I give you Closer. Loved the play. Loved the movie. 

18. Favorite movie from your favorite director.

I'm a big Wes Anderson fan. I also love Peter Weir. But Wes Anderson gave us The Grand Budapest Hotel. Awesome film. 

19 .Favorite action movie

I love Marvel films, which are sort of action. I'm also a bit of a James Bond junkie - he's all action. I loved No Time To Die. Controversial opinion, but Daniel Craig was the best Bond. 

20. A movie you wish more people would have seen.

Most of the English films I see nobody knows about. I still think more people should have seen Their Finest. I adore that film. A Royal Night Out is another. And The King's Speech - though a few more people have seen that.

21. Favorite documentary

That's a toss up between Searching for Sugarman and March of the Penguins. Both are superlative. 

22. Favorite animation

I love Pixar movies. And my favourite Pixar movie has to be The Incredibles, clesely followed by Monsters, Inc

23. Most hilarious movie you’ve ever seen

I love Monty Python - all of their films crack me up. But I'm also a fan of Bridesmaids. I nearly wet myself when I saw that. 

24. A movie that you wish you had seen in theater.

I would love to see Citizen Kane at a cinema. And Gattaca again on a bigger screen. 

25. Your favorite movie of all time.

Again, a really hard question as I love movies, but I do adore Three Colours: Blue. I've always loved that film. And yes, it's art house and yes, it's in French. It's amazing. 


Today's song: 

4 comments:

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Pand,

I know what you mean about Jim Carrey - he can be annoying with his OTT acting. But I loved the Truman Show - and also Man on the Moon.

The best Bond? Daniel Craig was the grittiest - but I still like Sean Connery's Bond (though very dated).

:o)

Cheers

PM

CountryDew said...

I didn't find Where the Crawdads Sing very good as a book, so I am not expecting much from the movie if/when I finally watch it. I don't often go to the theater so I wait for things to role around to the TV. (I live 35 minutes from the nearest theater. It's not like I can be there in 15 minutes. It's practically an all-day outing because of the drive.)

Roger Owen Green said...

The Truman Show was great - "cue the sun!"
I had forgotten about Little Miss Sunshine.
Too many movies to pick from.

Kwizgiver said...

I also didn't care for the book Where The Crawdads Sing but I enjoyed the movie.