Thursday, March 23, 2023

The Joys of a Trilogy

 I've always got an audiobook on the go. It's my way to read more books while doing other things, which is normally walking, sitting on public transport, or driving. I love being told a story - and the books I tend to listen to are quality literature.

Some of my favourites have been a fully casted version of George Saunder's Lincoln in the Bardo - a fabulous book on its own, made even better with the cream of American Theatre voicing the book. Taylor Jenkins Reid's Daisy Jones and the Six was the other I loved. Again, every character had their own actor voicing the role. Judy Greer as Karen Karen was inspired casting. 

Anyway, at the moment, I'm early into the third of the Daniel Pitt Trilogy by Louis de Bernieres, a family saga that takes place from the turn of the 20th Century through until after World War Two. 

The first book, The Dust that Falls From Dreams introduces us to the two families involved - the McCosh family - a Scottish Dad, a rather barking Mum and their four daughters - the pretty one, the odd one, the sensible one and the plain one. Next door is the Pitt family, where their two remaining boys (the other two were killed in the Boer War) wreak havoc around their neighbourhood in Surrey, England. 

After becoming completely in love with these families, the second book takes us from just after the First World War until the middle of the second world war. The families, but the stage have gone through some turbulent times. Some of them are married. Some are travelling. Some have gone nowhere. Some are living alternative lives. There are many trials and tribulations for both families. 

And now I'm onto the third book - not very far in. There's already been a big, but predictable death. All the characters are still there. 

What's got me even more about this book, being a lover of the works of Louis de Bernieres, is that characters, from his other books, particularly Captain Corelli's Mandolin and Birds Without Wings, keep cropping up. One of my favorite minor characters from the former book, Bunnios (it's a long story, but he's and English soldier who tries to talk to the Greek Locals in Ancient Greek - Bunnios  is hilarious.) All sorts of people have turned up within the pages of these three rarely read gems. 

I'm buying my mother these books for when she recouperates from her pending hip operation.

What's upsetting me most about finished these books is how I'm going to miss all the characters when I've finished. Daniel is a flawed hero. You want to slap Rosie for her piety. Sophie makes me laugh. I love Ottillie's stoicism and practicality. Mr and Mrs McCosh are brilliant comic relief. 

And if they're all not dead by the end of this last book, they're not going to be far from it - and I am going to miss these strange, batty, sweet, practical people. They've been part of my life for a few weeks now and have become old friends. 

Louis de Bernieres is the perfect mix of Charles Dickins and P.G. Wodehouse. He is an earthbound God in my view. 

Best not think about finishing and savour what I have left. 

Today's song: 



No comments: