Wednesday, March 29, 2023

The Walk

Darwin: 10 p.m.

Actual Temperature: 27 degrees Celsius. 

Apparent Temperature: 32 degrees Celcius. 

Humidity: 87%

Sleep was elusive last night, and the day was long. I'm finding my Darwin feet, but with the weather sapping your energy, and not a great night's sleep, it was good to get to 5 p.m. and time to get home. 

Also, being inveterate introvert, some time away from people was needed. 

Arriving back at the apartment, I threw on some leggings and my runners and went for a walk. This turned out to be a very good idea. 

You get to find out about a city when you see it on foot. With my audiobook in my ears, I took the route my colleagues suggested. Down to the Waterfront, around the bay, along the beach and back home. 

The walk skewed my view of Darwin

Staying in the administrative centre of city, there is little to see. There are flustered office workers, the backpackers bars (as I discovered near the other office today) the occasional indigenous person, and the odd grey nomad. Tourists will come back soon and make the place feel busier. 

Today's walk proved that this town is a little discombobulated. On my walk I passed a lot of apartment buildings. Lots of apartment buildings. Then I arrived I at the Waterfront - an area filled with bars and restaurants, next to a wave pool and a small lagoon beach, in which a few children were playing. 

You don't swim at the beaches in Darwin, particularly in the Wet. If the box jellyfish, which can kill you if you're not careful, the crocodiles might come at you. You're good to walk along in the gardens - but don't go in the water. Not in the Wet. This beach at the waterfront is allegedly croc and stinger free, but I'm not into that. I'd rather chance myself at the beaches in South Australia. 

I walked for a good hour. I bought an ice cream as it was a good night for that. A decent breeze meant I could walk comfortably. It was great for calming the mind. I'm already mourning the book - the last of a trilogy, which I have loved. There's only two hours on it left to play. 

Once I'd left the Waterfront and walked around the base of Fort Hill Park as the sun was about to set. 


After reading some of the plaques to those lost in World War Two, where Japan bombed the port of Darwin, to looking around the parks, it was a pleasant walk. Nowhere near as busy as the Melbourne footpaths get. Not as many dogs either. This might be something that's stemmed from the pandemic - or the area in which I live. It's a bit hot for dogs anyway. 

And once I was back in the area, I walked back through the city streets and the melting backpackers, and the Irish pubs and the quiet eating joints, found myself some takeaway for dinner - and I went back home.

It's not a bad place. Just different. 

Hoping for a better sleep tonight. 




No comments: