Thursday, August 31, 2023

The Laps of IKEA

 I got to the gym tonight with only 4000 steps registering on my watch. 

I want to do 10000 steps. I've been good about this.

The 45-minute session with Twelve harvested another 1000 steps, with the general running around from each piece of equipment. 

So, with 5000 steps to find at twenty to eight, I did what was safe and available to get my tally up. 

I went and did laps of IKEA. 

Three laps in total. Following the yellow brick road (well, the big yellow arrows) around each floor will yield you about 1500 steps. 

What people don't tell you is IKEA is actually quite peaceful at night. It's not over run with the great unwashed, there's room to move. The ratio of screaming kids to fraught adults is limited. You're not bowled over by prams. There seem to be a lot of young couples with sleeping babies looking at sofa beds, foreign students seeking saucepans, and probably, the odd dingbat like me, strolling through the store, in sweaty gym gear, hoping to get her walking quota in for the day. 

I think this is a genius way to do some walking at night. It's warm. It's well lit. Nobody, including the sales consultants, are going to bother you. It's safe. And you get to reinforce why you no longer buy IKEA furniture - although it does have its place, says she who owns three Billy bookcases and a heap of glassware I don't mind losing to accidents. I'm also fond of their candles.

And at the end of the third lap, especially after the workout Twelve made me do... (I swore at him in French tonight. He giggled at me. Giggled! How rude!) I allowed myself a hot dog, because I was hungry and IKEA hot dogs are grouse. 

I'm happy with myself I kept to my steps. That feels best of all. 

Today's song:


 

No comments: