Tuesday, July 28, 2026

Gym Auditions Part II

Have you got any idea how many gyms there are in the Richmond/Abbotsford area. A stupid, crazy number, and that's not counting the yoga and pilates studios and other health aligned businesses. 

Tonight was the audition for gym number two - with a difference. 

The local Duke's Gym was my check out place. I made an appointment for a check in with a trainer. They also had a deal on - join for four weeks and see a trainer for free twice a week for four weeks. I've got some fitness goals, and as Jay is away for a few weeks, I can see myself kick some different goals. No joining fee. No cancellation fees. 

The poor bloke. I'll call him Mike. He got me after the Ritalin had mostly left my system, so he got full Pandora in Leo mode. 

I said I'd join for the four weeks. I could use somebody, who didn't know me, to kick my bum on some cardio goals - which my other two trainers don't do. (They're cardio averse). Treat it like a reset - and I'll keep my normal workout regime for weights and strength. 

Mike is lovely. He also said that 80% of his clients were perimenopausal and menopausal women - so he's used to dealing with stroppy, loud, bolshie women.

Anyway, here are the pros and cons. 

Pros:

  • It's a five-minute walk from home
  • 24/7 access
  • $19 per week (Not as good at Gym 24/7, but still not bad)
  • Modern equipment
  • Normal people
  • Clean and well maintained
  • A women's only area
Cons:
  • Less equipment than Gym 24/7
  • No recovery area
  • No ski ergs or TRXs
  • No classes

I won't joining this one (unless Chuck comes here, but I doubt that will happen) but as a cardio gym for the next couple of weeks, I'm good with that. 

Here's to kicking some cardio goals in the next few weeks. 


Today's song:



No comments: