Friday, December 2, 2016

Song a Day November: What's Up

Half the battle of posting a song a day is finding the song that suits the day - and then finding the words to write about it. So my last song is a little late. Never to worry.

There were a couple of songs that nearly made it. Maybe a Beatles song, I thought. Maybe a bit of David Bowie - A Space Oddity is never amiss. Find something a bit more alternative I thought - Maybe Damien Rice or Alt-J. Maybe go political and find some Redgum or Billy Bragg.

But after two days of wracking my brain, the lyrics that were sitting in my brain came from his song.

In particular "And I pray, oh my god do I pray, I pray every single day, for a resolution..."

Okay, the last word is a mondegreen - it's actually revolution - but resolution works nicely here.

Something that's been on my mind is a study and facebook friend of mine whose child is currently in an intensive care unit. It appears there is hope, but having my family in the same position this time last year, it's brought back a lot of the feelings from last year and that feeling being overwhelmed by what was going on around the place. That sense of helplessness and fear - and part of me just wanting a resolution of all the angst felt at the time.

Anyway, I found this treasure, which is on many people's "I never want to hear that song again" list, up there with James Blunt's 'You're Beautiful", Adele's "Rolling in the Deep" and my special favourites, INXS's "The Swing" and Meatloaf's "Bat Out of Hell" albums (If I hear either again it will be too soon.)

I will always remember this as one of my London songs. Working at a merchant bank, three nights a week in the pub after work, a far easier and carefree time, when I smoked a pack of Marlboro Lights a week and thought I was invincible.

I know much better now.

And I still love this song, even if it was overplayed back in the day.

And I still want her boots.



No comments: