Sunday, December 23, 2018

The End of Year Questions

Ah, it is getting to that time of the year. The joys of having to look at the year and see what you have done. Ah well. Probably not the best thing to do when you're in the grips of a depressive funk (It's manageable, but not too bad. At least I have some time to get through this.)

Regardless of being stuck at home with two cats and feeling a little low, I will give this a go.

Questions, as always, supplied by Bev at Sunday Stealing.


What did you do last year that you had not done before? 

I gave up caffeine. Completely. I've never done that before - and it is still one of the best things I've ever done. I've also got to the 60000 words stage of a novel. This too is a good thing.

Did you keep your New Year's Resolutions/goals for the year and will you make/set more for next year?  What are they? What are your new ones?

I sort of make new years resolutions. One of mine from this year was to get my health back. This I have done, thanks to a big change in diet and exercise. I also make a resolution to remain gainfully employed. I will keep that one. My resolutions for next year are to travel more and to keep my healthy regime going. I certainly like the travel one.

Did anyone you know give birth? Or become pregnant?  Or adopt?

No.

Did anyone you know die? Or have a serious illness/injury?

I loved a well-loved friend to breast cancer in November. I think she is a big part of the funk I'm in at the moment. Breast cancer is brutal.

What places have you visited? 

Other than the odd trip to Adelaide and regular trips to Sydney, I spent my birthday in Bali, which was most wonderful.

Any new pets? Lost a pet?

Nope, I'm still sitting people's cats when they go away. I have two of them with me at the moment. They hate each other. It's interesting.

My sister has a new kitten. This, by extension, is a new member of the family. She looks cute.

What would you like to have next year that you lacked this year (doesn't have to be a physical thing i.e. love, job security, peace of mind...)? 

More travel. More kissing. More fun. There have been some elements of this year which have made it hard - especially the last few months.

What date from last year will remain etched in your memory and why? 

August 19. I had a really good day on my birthday. I turned 50.

What was your biggest achievement last year?

Getting my health back. I took on a naturopath to help, gave up gluten, dairy, sugar, caffeine and alcohol for three months. Lost 10 kilograms (22 lbs) and feel a lot better for it.

Did you get sick or injured?

Other than the odd minor snuffles, I really badly jacked my quad at the end of October. I tripped on a step. The muscles are better now, but the knee is still giving me jip. It's only taken two months. It's been a long process and a lot of visits to the myotherapist to get it moving again.

What was the best thing you bought? 

An airline ticket to Hong Kong - that's my trip in March. Looking forward to it - I've never been to Hong Kong before. It looks interesting. Oh, and the ticket to the David Byrne American Utopia tour. That was an incredible experience.

Where did most of your disposable income go (money leftover after you pay for food, medical care, basic clothing, transportation and shelter)? 

Travel and the Arts.

What song will always remind you of last year?  Doesn't have to be a song released last year.

Probably this:




What do you wish you would have done more of?

Write. Kiss. Travel. Go out with friends.

What do you wish you would have done less of?

Crappy paper work for an organisation I am affiliated with. I am trying to remedy this.

What was your favorite new TV program? Movie? Album/Songs? Or if you didn't pick up any new ones, what are you still watching/listening to? Any recommendations?

Okay, I will admit to being a bit of a Suits tragic. It's good fun. I've also just discovered "The Good Place" on Netflix. I also love The Marvelous Mrs Maisel, but I only get to watch an episode on the way up to Sydney on the plane. It's fabulous.

Favourite films of this year:

  • Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
  • The Square
  • Ready Player One
  • A Star is Born
  • Deadpool 2
  • The Wife
Music - I haven't got into music this year really. I listen to a lot of varied playlists on Apple Music.



What was the best book you read this year?  How many did you read?

I've read about 25 books this year. The stand outs were The Last Painting of Sara de Vos by Dominic Smith and The Museum of Modern Love by Heather Rose. Both were excellent - and by Australian writers. I've read about 25 books this year.

What did you do on your birthday and how old were you? Did you feel differently? 

I was 50 in August. I was in Bali with a group of friends. I got up, wandered about, went to the most mystical place in Bali (Tirta Empul) and was purified in the waters of the temple, went to yoga, then went out to dinner. It was a good day. Do I feel differently now I'm a year older - not really. Maybe a little more invisible, but I think that is the funk speaking.

What political or social issue stirred you the most? 

The ineptitude of the Australian Federal Government has been a thorn in my side for most of the year. They are terrible - so much so they are giving Trump a run for his money.

Image result for scott morrison bus

Who was the most interesting new person you met?

I did a writer's workshop with Catherine Deveny. She's a breath of fresh air. It's a bit like having a malevolent fairy sitting on your shoulder egging you on to write.

What changed at your job?

I moved companies in October. Now at an insurance company on a project. It pays the bills.

What changed in your home? 

Nothing - all the same here in Richmond.

Describe how a relationship changed. 

I think most of my relationships are pretty much in the same place.

Do you think you are still the same person that you were at the beginning of the year?  How so?

I think I'm a bit more driven that I was earlier in the year. I think I'm a bit more serious. I'm also not in for being a masochist as much as I used to be. Then again, this could be the funk talking. I am doing something about the funk.

Summarize the year in three words or less. Bonus points for doing it in one word. Explain. 

Challenging. Transformative. Accepting.

How have people around you changed? 

I think they are a lot less willing to put up with crap too.

What have you learned throughout the year? (Other than crafts) 

I can do something if really put my mind to it. Losing weight and novel writing are two of those things.

What was your favorite outfit for warm weather? Cooler weather? 

A pair of bathers for warmer weather. I have a really nice black dress with  floral overlay for winter. Oh and my green jeans and a top - I love that combo.

Did you learn any new crafts or techniques? What was your favorite thing you made? 

Nope. Too busy writing.

What changed about your physical appearance? (Hair? Wrinkles? New makeup style? Etc) 

I'm a bit thinner. This is a good thing. The rest is pretty much me.

What are your hopes and dreams for the new year?  (Some suggestions-family, travel, work, lifestyle, hobbies, pets, appearance)

I have a few things I want to achieve next year:

  • Go on the next segment of this weight loss and health journey
  • Finish both novels that I have on the go.
  • Travel a lot more to some new places (first stop, Hong Kong)
  • Get really fit again.
  • Laugh more, love more.
Happy Season to you all.

Today's Song: (It's a Nine Inch Nails kind of time)


4 comments:

Bev Sykes said...

Good on ya for all the positive changes you've made this year. And it sounds like you've been quite productive with your writing.

Lori said...

You have done so well this year! So good on giving up caffeine! I have one soda a day still with caffeine, but I used to have several a day. I made that change after my gallbladder surgery and I could only have water and Sprite. You are doing great! I am so proud of you! Have a very Merry Christmas! Loved your answers!

https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

CountryDew said...

Congrats on the 60,000 words. That's a big accomplishment. Hope the funk goes away; I think this time of year (whatever hemisphere) is hard on folks.

Stacy said...

Wow! You are an inspiration! You've done such a great job of living healthy. I really need to find the motivation to do the same. I'm sorry about your friend and hope you can shake your funk...I doubt she'd want you to live in sadness. Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!