Saturday, December 1, 2018

The Annual Dilemma

Currently, I have a mental load which is doing my head in.

Mental load? Yeah, the crap you think about to keep life running and things in order. That's a mental load. I learned the term from a podcast on "Ladies We Need to Talk." Though not a real fan of Yumi Stynes, the podcast puts an interesting slant on things, and the webisode about mental load really resonated with me.

My Mental Load has done my head in so much that I have finally fallen in a heap and I've called time on a barbeque I was looking forward to, gone home, decided to clean the flat, do some writing and hide away from the world. Yep, it is that good.

But I am scheduled for a float tomorrow at 3 pm and I might catch a movie after. But yeah, my head is a bit full.

Of the things I have to think about, in no apparent order, although this is not the full list:


  • When is my leg going to be able to let me do leg work at the gym? (It is nearly better, but still giving me grief)
  • How can I afford a new computer and a new washing machine? (Not necessary yet, but soon)
  • I must get out the mason's paperwork this weekend, (Yes, I do)
  • Write a definitive list of things to do for the Property Association for the Masons.(Somebody has to do it)
  • Find a hotel in Hong Kong for my holiday in March (recommendations gratefully received)
  • Research things to do on Hong Kong.(I have three months - shelve this for the minute)
  • Do I go to England soon? (I want to, writing about England has made me homesick)
  • Will I be able to do the Camino in the next two years? (Hope so, just have to work out how to finance it)
  • When is the Australian Federal Government finally going to implode? (this in on the cards)
  • Will I be able to finish the first draft of my first novel by 31 December? (Have to keep focussed and committed)
  • If I don't finish my first draft of my first novel by 31 December, what will Catherine Deveny do to me (she is like a malevolent good/bad fairy who I promised the draft to - I don't like letting down mentors)
  • Should we renegotiate the lease on the office space at the temple? (We had better)
  • What do we do about the real estate agents seeing the temple didn't sell on Thursday? (Breathe in and leave it on the market)
  • What do I wear to my friend's funeral on Monday, not that she will have an opinion on this? (Bright red, maybe - we've been told to wear colour - but what colour?)
  • Will the two cats who are coming over for Xmas get on okay? (They're cats - they will hate each other - Maow Maow is a bastard)
  • When am I going to get the time to bag up the lollies for book group? (When I get back from Sydney next Sunday - I have the rubber gloves)
  • When will Harvey and Donna get together? (Yeah, something stupid to think about)
  • Do I really want to read A Man Called Ove again? (Book group book, read it last year)
  • How am I supposed to write a love story which never actually happened? (Use my imagination and get plotting)
  • When will they get rid of above the line voting in the legislative council in Victoria? (Soon, I hope, saves getting the numpties the preference whisper gets put in there)
  • Will Peter Dutton end up in prison? (Hope so)
  • Will I get to see my lovely friend who lives in Florence in person, in Florence? (Really hope so)
  • How will I work with the new guy who joins our team on Monday? (Hopefully well. Work is in an interesting spot at the moment. Exhaustion not helping matters.)
  • Will I be able to take the Grand Poobah of the lodge to the airport and make the gym on Monday? (Should be able to - just use my logistics brain and all will be well - and take the Tulla)
  • Was the David Byrne concert we say last Saturday better than the one I saw at Brixton Academy 25 years ago. (Unsure, both were brilliant, but in different ways)
  • When am I going to be able to get back to my dystopian novel? (Soon, I hope, finish this one first)
  • How long can I leave this hair pack in my hair? (30 minutes - hair feels great now)
  • Can I hire somebody to mop my floors and do the hoovering? (Don't be a yuppie, Pandora and do your housework.)
  • Will our inept Federal Government call an early election? (Please, please, please...)
  • Why isn't the Bureau of Meteorology website publishing temperatures for Melbourne. (I'm a weather nerd, this is making me anxious)
  • Will Blarney remember to take the cheesecake out of the fridge for serving at her BBQ? (Maybe I should text her)
  • Where has my Village Cinemas gift card gone that I got for my birthday? (It's probably under the ironing pile - like everything else on the couch)
  • Should I buy a new shredder? (Probably)
  • What do I get for my colleague for their Kris Kringle present? $15 Maximum. Older male. (Seriously stuck on this one)
  • Is the fact that I have a funny gut at the moment because of a 24 hour bug or is it just stress? (One of the other, this list making is making me feel better)
Well, that's the start of the stuff going on in my head.

Can you get why I'm exhausted?

But now, for important things. I am going to concentrate on something big and serious which blights thought processes each year at this time.

What the hell am I going to put up for book group books at our December meeting?

This is a huge thing for me. I need to find two fiction books of literary or very good popular fiction standard, under 500 pages, easily available to recommend for reading on our next year's book group book list.

I will admit that I have a bit of a bonus in that I organise our book group and I get to see what everybody else is putting up early. I have to tell everybody to put in an extra book in case there are double ups. Four of the eight have put theirs in already - and two people have chosen the same book.

So, for me, what am I going to put up? I have a long list. Here is is - with some reasonings as to why I think we should read them.


1) Catcher in the Rye by J.D.Salinger

Why - I've never read it, but heard heaps about it. It's an American classic and it is not too long. It's good to have a classic on the list too. Slaughterhouse Five did not disappoint.

Why Not:  Can't find a reason why not.


2) Milkman by Anna Burns

Why: This won the Booker Prize this year and I have read one of her other books, No Bones, which was remarkable. Right length, easy to get.

Why Not: This group are funny. They might see this as a bit high brow. We've had some interesting reactions to prize winners.


3) Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders

Why:Won the Booker last year. Extraordinary book. Incredible even.

Why Not: Probably going to be inaccessible to many of the book group - just a bit high brow for them.

4) The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguru

Why:  I love Ishiguru.

Why Not: A bit obscure and a bit highbrow.

5) The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert

Why: I adored this book - loved it. I love Elizabeth Gilbert too. I was listening to a TED Interview of hers the other day - she is phenomenal. Somebody who inspires me. Great woman.

Why Not:  It's a smidge over 500 pages. Not sure how some of the girls will put up with Alma (and I've thrown this to a few friends already)

6)  Transcription by Kate Atkinson

Why:  Kate Atkinson is great - it's also set in WWII - a pet area of mine to read.

Why Not:  Hmm, dunno.

7) Unsheltered by Barbara Kingsolver

Why:  The Poisonwood Bible is one of my favourite books. She is awesome (and a colleague has recommended The Lacuna by her as well).

Why Not:  Mention The Poisonwood Bible to some in my book group and they throw stones at you.

8) The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

Why: Classic, never read it and it's short.

Why Not:  Might be a touch depressing. 

9) The Rebel Angels or What is Bred in the Bone by Robertson Davies

Why: Both are extraordinary books by this amazing, but dead, Canadian author. Fun and fascinating.

Why Not: May not be that easy to find. Book group can be fickle about books in trilogies. 

10) The Museum of Modern Love by Heather Rose

Why: It is an extraordinary book - one of the best things I have read this year. Stella Prize Winner. It's about Art and the artist. Phenomenal book.

Why not: A bit too high brow for some - but God it's a good book. 

11)  The Book of Strange New Things by Michel Faber

Why: He wrote one of my favourite ever books - The Crimson Petal and the White.

Why Not: It's pushing the 500 page rule. 

12)  Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer

Why: I love Artemis Fowl - he's awesome. Like a Harry Potter but of the underworld.

Why not:  It's a kid's book - but I don't care.


So there. 

I've decided to have an iron one thing, shred/put away a few things night. A night at home is just what I need I think. 

And having a write has made me feel a lot better.

Thanks for listening. 

Today's Song:











No comments: