Wednesday, September 9, 2020

The Pitch

Level Four Lockdown: Day Thirty-Eight
Curfew. 8 p.m.
Mood:  Mildly freaking out but it will pass
Black and White Photo Challenge: Day Nine


We have to pitch our novels in class next week. We have to pitch our novels to a publisher from Queensland University Press.

Needless to say, I'm freaking out a bit.

Mind you, this is all a bit of a practice - but we know that in the backround that we have a publisher listening to our three sentence pitches. 

I hate this stuff. Just let me write. 

But this is all part of the game. 

Making things harder, last night, in class, when we were discussing these pitches, the power went out. Thankfully my laptop was fully charged and my mobile was to hand. After lighting a couple of candles I used the phone hotspot and was back on line in five minutes. On the zoom call, I looked somewhat ghostly, the only real illumination in the room was my computer screen. I looked a bit like Holly from Red Dwarf - a disembodied head, putting in the odd remark. 

The power came back about fifteen minutes after class ended, but it was quite disturbing.But it made for a nice black and white photo of the bathroom.

But here I am fretting over this pitch. It's on its way, boiling the novel down to three sentences.

It's hard, it's horrid and here's what I have at the moment:

It’s Time is a literary novel set in a near future Australia, where the young have the advantages, age is a definite burden and personal responsibility is paramount. Faith, a 54-year-old teacher has a year to arrange her government-mandated death. In the tradition of Ishiguro’s Never Let Me Go, It’s Time explores the process and politics of dying and living in Modern Australia.

I hate it. It needs work. But we're on the way. 


Today's song:



No comments: