Friday, August 13, 2021

Sausages and Onions

 I'm trawling through my childhood memories, remembering the things my mother used to feed me as a child - and I remembered one of my favourites, another seventies classic: Sausages and Onions. 

We had this at least once a week when I was a kid. 

Red meat was always a big thing in our house. My grandfather was a butcher, so meat was always plentiful - not so much chicken, and rarely pork - but lamb, beef and sausages were standard. I remember as a young child sitting on the bench watching him make sausages - cigarette hanging from his bottom lip, forcing the sausage mix into the casings. It's probably the reason why I've never been squeamish. I get very nostalgic when I walk into a traditional butcher shop or the meat section of the markets. Something about the blood and sawdust smell, I think. 

I always loved sausages and onions, which is really just sausages in onion gravy, which is always served up with mashed potatoes and some veggies. 

The sausages, normally grandpa's ones, which were excellent, were lightly cooked in the big electric frying pan. One or two onions were sliced and added to the mix. Then it was topped off with gravy. Of course, being the seventies, this was made with water and Gravox, with some tomato sauce and Worcestershire Sauce added to the mix for good measure. This was cooked off until the gravy had thickened. 

Now, to get such a meal, you need to go to an accommodating pub, where you'll pay over $20 for some wanky artisan sausages in jus. Not gravy. Jus. 

I just looked up the recipe on Taste.com. It was a convoluted recipe. It calls for red wine and beef stock and flour for the gravy. I do think that there is something to be said for the Gravox and tomato sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Simple. Yummy. Easy to make.

Of course, if I was to make these now, I'd make sure that the onions were cooked through properly and not just wilted. And I'd put an extra dash of Worcestershire in, just for good measure, because Worcestershire sauce makes everything taste better. 

It would be great to make this again. It's a pity it's not a dish that stands up well to single serves. 

Today's song: 


Today's Cards:

The Enchanted Map: Goblins

Archetype Card: Mediator

Cards Against Humanity: What gives me uncontrollable gas? A balanced breakfast. 

1 comment:

Me, Myself, and I said...

Hubs and I LOVE this meal...we caramelize the onions in the Instant Pot and make whipped Yukon Gold potatoes...hubs makes the best gravy. We get our sausages from a local butcher and grill them. Super tasty!