Saturday, August 7, 2021

The Hemingway Chair

Have you ever irrationally wanted something, even though you know it's not practical, and it will be a pain in the arse to arrange to get it and really it isn't something you need. 

Well, I call this the Hemingway Chair. 




My friend, Millie, has this chair, and I have coveted it since I saw it. Part armchair, part chaise, it's the perfect reading chair. 

For me, it was love at first sight. 

I made the comment at the time, some eight or nine years ago, that if she ever wanted to get rid of this chair, ask me, I'd probably take it off her. 

The message came through last night. Did I want her Hemingway Chair? 

Yes!!!! It has a broken leg, but broken legs can be fixed. I'd also have to find a way to get it from her place in the Middle Eastern suburbs, down a few flights of stairs, to my place in the Inner City, and up two flights of stairs. 

Then I have to find a place to put it. It's an opportunity to clean up the spare room. At the moment, the spare room is the place where shoes go to die and clothes  go there to dry. I could set up a proper home office... I could make it a writing studio, with the perfect reading chair. I could do lots of things. 

And there is the matter of getting the leg fixed. 

And to find somebody to collect the chair and bring it here and up two flights of stairs.

And there's the matter of sorting out the spare room. 

But I want it. Because in my little dreams, I have always wanted a reading chair like this, and I love Millie for offering this to me. 

So if anybody knows of a removalist who might have capacity for a quick job, and a handyman who can fix furniture, please let me know. It won't be until after lockdown has ended. But there it is. 

I'm hating my current impracticality, but there are times you just have to say yes, and I have covetted this piece of furniture for years. 

I've never felt like this about a chair. It's stupid, but sometimes you have to say yes. 


Today's Song: 


Today's Cards: 

The Enchanted Map: Coming Apart

Archetype Card: Beggar

Cards Against Humanity: The said we were crazy. They said we couldnt put...EMOTIONS... inside of... A BALL BY BALL COMMENTARY FROM RICHIE BENAUD... They were wrong. 


No comments: