Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Come Rain or Come Shine

I'm preparation procrastinating. 

Preparing for Friday night's performance of the MTC's Come Rain or Come Shine.

And I'm procrasti-knitting, procrasti-cleaning, procrasti-binging,  procrasti-reading and procrasti-you name it, I'm doing it, instead of doing the following: 

  • the Mason's books
  • cleaning the flat properly
  • placing a number of clothing and footwear items onto Facebook Marketplace
  • preparing my taxes
  • doing the ergonomic assessment of my work area for my pimp (which means cleaning around that too)
  • getting my life in order
Instead, I'm doing my research for Friday - which I don't really need to do, but I'm curious. 

It's not like I had to read "A Picture of Dorian Gray" again. I've read that too many times over, written essays on the subject and you name it, it's ingrained. I stopped myself going off at a friend after they said they didn't know Dorian Gray was a book (The internal monologue from my critical literary nerd self was really surprised. The rational part of me immediately reminded myself  that I was internally being a judgemental cow and that many people are not as well read as myself and you have to be accepting of this... and then offered them my copy to read before they saw the play - which I still think is a good idea.)

Anyway, Come Rain or Come Shine is a musical, devised by Tim Finn of Split Enz fame, based on the short story by Kazuo Ishiguro. From what I've read, Finn beat out a lot of large Hollywood studios to the rights to make this into a play - and he's turned it into a musical.

After what he did to Ladies in Black - which was a superlative musical, done by the MTC a few years ago, I'm curious to see what he's got up to. 


And of course, I love Kazuo Ishiguro. Never Let Me Go is one of my favourite books. I adored The Remains of the Day and Klara and the Sun. So I'm wanting to get this short story read before Friday. 

I'm about sixty percent through. It's only fifty pages long. So far I've ascertained:
  • I know more about the Great American Songbook than I give myself credit
  • Ishiguro is the master of understated minutiae
  • Old friends make for brilliant writing fodder
  • I'm not sure if I would slap or hug the protagonist - like his friends in the story
  • And I'm yet to see how Tim Finn is going to turn this into a musical
  • And I am still in awe of every word  Ishiguro writes
It's going to be a cultural day on Friday. I've bought myself a ticket to the Picasso Exhibition - which being later in the afternoon, the worst of the School Holiday crowd may be gone. 

I've also got to get gussied up enough to have my passport photos taken so I can have my current passport renewed. 

Then there's dinner at the new restaurant at the Southbank Theatre before the play. 

So yeah, it's busy. 

But I'm being procrasti-curious in looking all of this stuff up.

Anway, here's a standard from the Great American Songbook. If you watched as many old movies in your childhood as I did, with all of the old standards, you know these songs. They're ingrained, along with the old advertisments that played on the telly at the time.

I wonder if Le Cornu's Operation Inflation is still going on in Adelaide. 

Anyway, back to it. I have more procrastination to do. 

Today's song: 

No comments: