Sunday, July 31, 2022

Sunday Stealing: The Friday 5

 Another Sunday, another Sunday's worth of questions, supplied, as always, by Bev at Sunday Stealing. 

1) What one event from your lifetime would you change if you could, and why?

One defining moment was back when I was at university. It was recommended that I went in for counselling. I didn't . Not that I was ready to hear it at the time, but it might have got me on my journey a hell of a lot quicker. 

2) If you could give one piece of advice to your younger self, what would it be and how old would your younger self be when they got it? Do you think your younger self would listen?

I'd get my younger self, sit her down and have her repeat daily - maybe a few times a day, "You are kind, you are smart and you are important." Again, working on the negative-self talk early may have helped me along the way eariler.

3) Would you be any good on Survivor?

No, I'd be crap on Survivor. I love my running water, I'm not overly agile (fit and strong, but not agile) but I am pretty crafty. Unfortunately my first two failings would completely stifle the fact I can out-think a lot of people. 

4) What's a safety rule that's very important to you?

Wear your seatbelt when you're in the car. It's pretty much been ingrained in my brain since I was a young child, but I could never drive in Australia without a seatbelt. India and Greece not so much. 

5) What would you like to say to people in the future?

Be kind to each other. And look after the planet. 

6) What's your favorite dish to bring to a summer cookout?

It's my job to bring sweets, if I'm not asked to make a salad (Rocket (arugula), pear, cranberries, feta, walnut and balsamic vinegar is the go to.) I make a cracking tiramisu and my chocolate cake is renown. 

7) How much time have you spent outdoors this week?

Not enough. As it's the middle of winter, I'm not getting out as much as I'd like, but I'm trying to go out for a half hour walk each day. 

8) Where do you set your thermostat?

My split system heating is set to 20 degrees (celcius) which does the job nicely. 

9) How did you learn to swim?

I learned to swim when I was five-years-old at Mrs Brown' swimming pool. Mrs Brown took swimming lessons there. Allegedly, Mrs Brown had swum the English Channel when she was younger. They were the only swimming lessons I ever had, but she did a good job with them. I love swimming. 

10) How do you avoid overheating?

Like most people, I take off my clothes, drink cold drinks and crank up the airconditioning. 

11). What are you going to do this weekend?

The weekend is almost over. Yesterday I donated blood and went for a Trivia night. Our team won the night - came away with a $25 voucher and bragging rights. Today I went to the gym, had a mason's meeting and now I'm about to go off and see Blarney, once the cat is fed. 

12) What’s your favorite way to spend time?

Reading, writing, swimming, seeing film or theatre or hanging out with friends. 

13) What’s the most useless thing you own that you would never get rid of?

My cat, Lucifer, is pretty useless, but I love him to bits and would never get rid of him. He's the best cat. But he is useless. 

14) Have you started planning your next vacation?

I'm always planning my next trip in my head. I've only got small trips planned at the moment, but I was talking to a friend last night - maybe Japan... or a few weeks in Europe next year. My new passport came in the mail on Friday, so at least I'm free to travel now. 

15) Are you very active, or do you prefer to just relax in your free time or is it one and the same to you?

I'm generally pretty active. I need to keep active as it keeps the depression at bay. 

Today's song:

2 comments:

CountryDew said...

I need to be much less sedentary. I could take a page from your book on that.

Roger Owen Green said...

I'm TERRIFIED not to wear a seatbelt. When were first installed in the US, they were only for the front seats; that's fixed now.