Tuesday, July 19, 2022

What to read next?

 It was book group tonight, which is always a good thing, because book group makes me happy. 

This month's book was great too - Lisa Harding's Bright Burning Things - which meant there was a lot to talk about.  It's the story of a single mum and her struggles with alocholism. Set in Ireland, it's a more literary version of Marion Keyes' Rachel's Holiday. The characters are fantastic, even if you want to slap half of them every chance you get. I loved it and I'm interested in what the rest of the group think.

But now I have the next problem to endure - what to read next?

The pile is large and weighty. There are classics to read and re-read. There's the modern books that needs a viewing and the Booker Shortlist to attempt. 

I don't have next month's book yet - Blarney has a copy of Madeleine Ryan's A Room Called Earth. Besides, I like to read to book group book in the week of the next meeting. It's a fairly short book from memory, so when I finally get to read it, it won't take up too much time. 

Of the too many books I have around here to read a couple which come to mind are the following:

Bonnie Grimus's Lessons in Chemistry - a book which has been lauded by The Plot Thickens, an online book club of which I am a part. It looks interesting - set in the sixties about uppity women. I like the sound of that. 

Another one I'd like to have a crack at is Christos Tsiolkas's 7 1/2. I love the brutality of Tsiolkas - The Slap, Damascus and Dead Europe were all fantastic - why shouldn't this be the same?

There are some other Australian authors I could tip into. Sophie Laguna's lastest, journalist Jacqueline Maley's first foray into fiction and Emily Bitto's tome are all sitting there waiting to be read. 

In our team meeting, Louis de Bernieres came up in conversation. I've got copies of Birds Without Wings and Notwithstanding on the shelves which require reading - the former comes with a recommendation from one of my colleagues - I love Louis de Bernieres, so I should give him more of a priority. 

Other books that come to mind - I started Douglas Stuart's Shuggie Bain earlier this year, but I couldn't get into it, especially as I was working too hard at the time. James Joyce's Ulysses has been sitting by my bed for years. I dip into it now and then, but it would be good to read the whole thing. 

One day.

And of course, Hanya Yanigahara's To Paradise is on the shelves, but the author herself said in a talk I should read Henry James' Washington Square before dipping into that. And I'd like to re-read DH Lawrence again - like so many books, I seem to enjoy them more now I'm a proper adult. 

And there's the Franzens which need reading. 

And the latest Lisa Taddeo....and ... and...

At least it's a good problem to have, not knowing what to read next. And at least I have access to books. 

It'll be a problem which is sorted shortly. 

Today's song:

No comments: