Saturday, July 30, 2022

The Donation

 I wasn't expecting to feel so emotional after donating blood for the first time in nearly 22 years. 

Emotional, hopeful and rather proud of myself for doing this as soon as I could after the mad cow ban was lifted.


For 22 years I've had to give my apologies when the blood drives happened at work. "Sorry, I'm a mad cow," was my normal response. 

I ached when my niece was diagnosed with leukaemia. She had numerous transfusions. I couldn't help stock the blood banks. I wasn't allowed to be tested to see if I could give blood to see if I could give her stem cells. It's not that I didn't want to, but the TGA deemed me to be a mad cow. 

So today, I gave blood. 

The blood bank was decked out in Union Jacks in celebration. It appears there are a lot of people like me out there who have missed doing this critical act of public service. if I'm honest, it's my only true act of civil service. And it feels like such a small thing. And an act of good karma. You give, you get back. Simples. 

There was a bit of waiting around. The blood bank is busy on Saturdays. Also, with the mad cow ban being lifted there were a lot of people my age group sitting waiting around. 

The donation itself took all of about eight minutes. 


The staff at the blood bank are fantastic. Thorough, caring and knowledgeable. 

As somebody with shy veins, my phlebotanist took the time to make this as comfortable as it could be. To be honest, the finger prick to check your haemoglobin hurts more than the needle and the blood draw. 

Then eight minutes later. It was over. 

A sit down, a juice box and some biscuits and it was back out to Collins Street to catch the tram home.

I'm still feeling a bit emotional about this all. 

It feels good to give something back, knowing that I'm helping somebody in a time of need. 

I'm glad I can do this again. 

Donate if you can.

In loving memory of Lauren Goodwin (1999-2015). I'll keep doing this in your memory, Loll. 


Today's song: 

No comments: