Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Done it again

 So here's the deal. 

I normally sell my car on after 6-7 years, mostly because after that time they start costing money to run, and partly because they keep some of their resale value at 6-7 years. I spent a bit of time working at a car dealership. I remember a few things. 

I picked up my current car, Clive, on 20 August 2016. I love Clive. He's red. He's sexy. He runs well. 

I'm also a careful lady driver who does limited milage. 

And Clive has been giving me the odd clunk and warning light of late - which is why he got sent to the doctor (service centre) today. 

He had a nice time getting serviced. He needed a new battery. He'll need new tyres in the next couple of months. 

Returning to the dealership later in the afternoon, he wasn't quite ready to be collected, so I went for a walk around the lot as there was nothing in the showroom. Also, another thing - I tend to get my cars as ex-demos or very young second hand cars from dealers. I'm not into private sales. With dealers, they come with warrantees and the like. 

Anyway, I got talking to Uday, the used car guy. Oh, I should say, my last two cars have been bought at this dealership from the guy who used to be this fellow's boss. I've referred a number of people to these guys - they're great to deal with, particularly if you're a woman on your own.

We got chatting. 

I know what I want, I told him. Something not much more than a year old. Something economical. I would love to get some sort of hybrid, but they are are rare as rocking horse poo. As for an electric vehicle - I don't have the infrastructure to run one of those, as much as I would love to. Maybe the car after this one. 

I drove around in a Mazda 2 sedan for a loaner today. It felt tinny. I like the bit of extra size of the CX-3. I don't need to go larger than that.  

There was a nice red Mustang in the yard. Don't need that either. 

But our conversation continued. 

Just like the last time I had this conversation, I explained that I was sort of looking. I've been sort of looking around for a couple of months, seeing what's about, spending tea breaks looking at various car websites, but I'm just being curious. And I'm fully aware of what the wait times on new cars are like. I'm also aware of the price second hand cars are fetching at the moment. 

We talked bit more. The only CX3 in the yard was six months older than mine. Pass. 

But then he says he's got some more cars coming in. He has a Genki coming in. I don't need a Genki - a Maxx will do. Happy with the Maxx.(Mid-range CX-3 - it's got enough bells and whistles, but not all of them which the Genki has in buckets. As long as it has airconditioning, electric windows, a reversing camera and handsfree comms, I'm good).

Another trip into the office and he tells me he has some ex-demos coming in soon. He gives me a price. And an age. And a colour. 2021 CX-3 Maxx. Soul Red. Basically, my car, just five years younger. 

We then go price up my car. Yes, it's six years old with only 41,000 on the clock. 

He said he could give me a trade-in price which is $5000 less than what I paid for it six years ago. 

It would be rude not to trade him in, semi-bald tyres an all. 

So I'm doing a bit of number crunching, knowing that my tax cheque will be here soon. 

And I think I might be making the call tomorrow morning. 

A girl needs a reliable car. A girl needs a birthday present. 

And in my tiny mind, this is an investment and it makes sense. 

Today's song: 

No comments: