Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Things I don't understand: Eyebrows

As a teenager, I remember spending many an hour trying to weed my eyebrows. Coming from the same lineage as Frida Kahlo and John Howard, and being a teenager of the 80's, weeding out the monobrow was a necessity. I'm also all for anybody wanting to keep their monobrow, doing just that. It's not for me, but you have to admire a person just being themselves.


 

Around me, back in the day, people would pluck their eyebrows to find lines. And then find years on, when trends change, the bloody things won't grow back. Again, thankfully, after years of weeding my momobrow, the hair got scared to come back. But they still need weeding. 

I have no idea how much I've spent on having my eyebrows tended to,  not that I started doing this early on. For the last ten years or so I've had my eyebrows professionally waxed, and trimmed (the latter has to be done so I don't end up looking like John Howard). They keep their shape for the most part. I have a dig at them inbetween services.

But now, eyebrows are a HUGE business. 

But what I'm not getting is this obsession with highly defined eyebrows - the microblade and tattoo culture. Sure, if I let my eyebrows grow it would be like I was related to the band members of Oasis - I've got no need for this service. And I don't have nearly invisible eyebrows like some of my friends. Nor did I over pluck them in the 80s. I was more a Brooke Sheilds type of eyebrow girl. Thicker, but tidy. 


There is also the argument that you don't know who you're going to see when you these sorts of cosmetic procedures done. Scarification, wounding, dented egos, extreme pain - why would you trust your face to somebody in a shopping mall to tattoo your face? How do you know what training they have had? How do you know their eyebrow aesthetics match yours.

You could end up looking like this...

Or this...


Or this...


Call me a wuss with decent natural eyebrows, but I just don't get it. Good luck to those who take up these options, but I can't get my head around it. 

Today's song: 



No comments: