Thursday, August 25, 2022

It's all about the beat

The personal training gym is up two pokey flights of stairs in a second story warehouse on Glenferrie Road. The trudge up the stairs is seen as part of the warm up. Not being a fan of stairs at the best of times and having blown out my knee coming down them one night, the fear factor only brings my heart rate up further. But we persist. It does me good to pump weights and run about the place. 

Tonight, on entering the gym, I noticed the music. Cleo normally plays a mix of 80s rock, 90's R&B and a lot of eclectic stuff that has no resemblance to the incessant pop they play at the big gym where I go on the weekend. 

Today, over the stereo, Beethoven was playing. 

"What is this?" I asked, thinking how am I going to raise a sweat to these soporific tones. 

"Pen's choice," she told me. Pen trains in the session before Jay and myself. 

"Umm... can we change it?"

"Don't you like it? 

"Not to work out to."

"That's fair."

Music and the gym are a very personal thing. If you're doing a cardio session, Beethoven is not the way to go. (Pen, bless her, has funny tastes).

If I was to name some bands to work out to I'd happily work out to any day of the week, I'd mention bands like:

  • The Pixies for their loud-soft-loud intervals
  • Blondie for her unrelenting bass
  • Destiny's Child is a bit poppy, but gets your heart rate up
  • Imagine Dragons are good for something different
  • And of course, The Rolling Stones with some of their classic tunes are fantastic. 
So, after a bit of chat, the music was changed. If I'm ever asked what to put on the stereo, I just say, "ROCK". 

We got eighties rock today. 

And I'd forgotten about this song which came on the early in the playlist. 

How could I forget about the Hoodoo Gurus? 

The best of upbeat 80s tunes, with catchy lyrics and unrelenting guitars?

How indeed?

So I've been singing this for most of the night since hearing it at the gym. 

And maybe it's not the world's best workout song, but it's good for keeping time when you're doing step ups. 

Today's song:

No comments: