Friday, August 12, 2022

I got a new cat

 Meet Encanta. 


She came via courier yesterday. 

I think she's gorgeous. 

My friend Reindert sent her over for my birthday present. 

Reindert is a cat person too. He has two new kittens after the last once got skittled. He's promised to keep these two inside. 

Regardless, Reindert and his wife were on holiday in Oaxaca, Mexico and they sent me this. 

Things I have found out about Oaxaca.

1) It's pronounced Wah-ha-kah. 

2) It's down in the South of Mexico. 

3) This sort of Mexican wooden art is known as Alebrijes and it's main centre of production is found in Oaxaca. These whimsical wooden figurines are called Alebrijes, which are fantasical creatures often made of wood or paper mache.

This little fellow is wood. She got through customs without a hitch.

I just think she's gorgeous and she's now got pride of place on my bookshelf with other trinkets bought in other countries, like my Saraswatis, and Ganeshas, and little wooden elephants. My friends often bring me back things like this - and it's another thing to cherish.

Reindert is off to the Netherlands to see his folks soon after this few weeks in Mexico. He's using his time well before starting a new job. His travel tales are making me salivate at the thought of traveling to strange and different places. And yes, New Zealand in January is technically overseas, but it's not the same as going somewhere exotic, like Mexico (and probably a bit safer).

Anyway, I have a new cat, even if it is wood. It makes me happy.

Today's song:

No comments: