Sunday, November 20, 2022

Sunday Stealing: Hodgepodge

 It's been a busy weekend, so it's a late start to the Sunday questions. I've been out most of the day, which has been a nice thing. Now to clean up the cat puke and get on with these. Oh, low light of the day is finding out my data has been stolen as a part of the Medibank data breach. Not happy about that. Just have to be hyper-vigilant from now on. 

What’s your favourite childhood memory?

My childhood wasn't the happiest, but I do remember playing with a lot of animals as a child. I love animals, but cuddling calves and lambs was always great fun. 

Do you sing in the shower?

Sometimes. It's a great place to sing. 

What is the best gift you’ve ever received?

I've received some great gifts over the years - and I don't really place much value on things, but some highlights have been:

  • A voucher for a balloon ride for my 40th birthday. 
  • Some welding gloves to catch the cat from Blarney and Barney (joke present)
  • A small bound book of Blake's poetry from an old colleague
  • And lots of small ornamental elephants over the years. 

Do you prefer being indoors or outdoors?

I'm more of an indoors person, though I love being outdoors, depending on the weather. 

Who was the last person you spoke to on the phone?

 That would be my mother - spoke to her yesterday afternoon. 

What do you keep in your bag or handbag?

I stopped carrying a handbag two years ago when it got stolen off my shoulder - and don't ask me about what sort of handbag I carry. I have a backpack to take into work - that comfortably fits my laptop and charger, a spare mouse, some cables, my wallet, phone, keys, hand cream and lipstick. You might also find a notepad and a pen or two if you're lucky. 

Can you knit?

Yes/ I knit very well - currently knitting Christmas presents (a jumper/sweater for my stepdad and a hat for a friend.)

How many hours do you sleep each night?

Between six and seven. 

Who is your role model?

Ruth Bader Ginsberg is one - she was incredible. A couple of my writing role models are Elizabeth Gilbert, Carrie Tiffany and Richard Flanagan. 

Who was your first ever pen pal?

I had a penpal when I was at University. We ended up meeting in London and living together for a while. Go figure. 

What has been your favourite job so far?

I'm still in awe that I get to work as a writer. As for favourite jobs, I had three years at a telecommunications company with a lot of engineers - I really enjoyed the job more for the people. I liked my time at one of the banks a few years ago - again, good people. 

What is your favourite go-to recipe for mid-week meals?

I like to marinate chicken thighs in a mix of ginger, garlic and kepak manis (Sweetened thick soy sauce). I grill them up and have them over salad. Easy and yummy. 

How often do you eat in a restaurant?

Around once a fortnight. I go out a little bit. Over the next six weeks it will be more. 

Are you close to your family?

Not overly close. I live interstate from my direct family. I'm closer to my Melbourne family, which is big and extended. 

Which phone app could you not live without?

The Bureau of Meteorology app. I like knowing how hot it's going to be and when the rain is coming in by checking the radar. Very useful. 

If you could afford to volunteer full time for a charity, which would it be?

Probably the Fred Hollows Foundation. They help to give people back their eyesight all over the world. If I was in America, I reckon I'd be volunteering for a women's rights charity. They need all the help they can get. 

If I was in England, I could see myself volunteering for the National Trust, just for the cheap entry into historic sites. 

Do you have any siblings?

To. I have a stepsister and a sister. Both are three years younger than me. 

Who is your favourite YouTuber?

That would be Jimmy Rees. He's an Australian icon who kept us sane over COVID. He's also hilarious. I also like Juice Media's Alternative Government advertisements. Also VERY funny - and very close to the bone. 

This is Jimmy Rees.


 And this is Juice Media and some of their 'adds'.

Have you ever been a bridesmaid or a groomsman?

Once. In Canberra for an old uni friend. Needless to say, I've cut ties with that friend - but it was an okay experience. I got to wear my own dress, which was fine. 

Today's song: 

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I should learn to knit! I enjoyed your answers. Hope you have a great day today!

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Pand,

Being scared of heights, a voucher for a balloon ride would be a terrible present for me.

I'm in the National Trust - as a member. It's a good thing to have.

Jimmy Rees sounds funny. Aussie and UK humour is similar.

:o)

Cheers

PM

Roger Owen Green said...

RBG is a GREAT choice!