Friday, November 11, 2022

The Fug

 I've finally identified what it feels like, this post-COVID fug. (Fug = a warm, stuffy or smoky atmosphere in a room - just like my mind and body feels at the moment)

Some thirty odd years ago, I contracted Glandular Fever. It took about six weeks to get over the worst of that noxious disease - the overwhelming need to sleep, the constant tonsilitis, the glands that swelled up like golf balls - and I was left with the post-viral fug - which went on for about two years. It was two years of taking two steps forward, one step back. You think you're fine, then you fall down in a heap - and it goes on ad nauseum. After a couple of months, I was having more good days than bad days, but every so often, the fug would get me and I'd be laid flat for a day or so. 

It went on for two years. 

This post-COVID fug feels just like the time after I had glandular fever. 

Although I'm much better at looking after myself. 

I've settled into a pattern at work - be productive for about minutes then go for a 10-minute nap. It keeps me from tanking (and to be honest, I'm still pretty productive). 

Exercise knocks me around - but I've dropped my weights and I'm not doing any intense cardio - it wears me out too much - but at least I'm moving a bit, and that is the main thing. 

Tonight, I saw my massage therapist, who's also my naturopath. He's given me ten days' worth of herbs - a tonic and a liver cleanser, which will hopefully help with the fug. 

The massage was welcomed, my body full of knots from not being able to do what I normally do. Lying on the couch appears to stuff your body up. 

But I'm told this COVID haze tends to hang on for a few weeks, if not a few months. 

Not sure I have the patience for that - which is why I'll be turning to complimentary medicine to see if it can be of assistance. 

I just want my energy back. 

Today's song: 



No comments: