Tuesday, July 4, 2023

NAIDOC Week

 It's NAIDOC Week - something that comes around annually, and if I'm honest, it's something that's barely made it on my to radar until now. I've not been disparaging of the week at all. It's a great thing. A week that celebrates the National Aborigines and Islanders Day Observance Committee and the struggle for First Nations recognition. I'm behind this 100%.

It's maybe more that we're being asked to answer a question in a referendum later this year, and I've been trying to get more informed. Also, working for a company based in the Northern Territory, First Nations issues are much more at the forefront of my mind, and this is a very good thing. 

Over the last week or so I've been drawn into conversations on The Voice and other matters.

One was a conversation about a website I've been helping to develop. The working group has made a clear recommendation to have a small acknowledgement of country at the bottom of the front page. We have one on our current website. 

On receipt of this recommendation, a member of another committee blew up over this, stating that that The Voice was bullshit and a waste of money... they went on for a while about this. 

I listened to their point of view. 

My first thought was to say, "Shut the fuck up you entitled boomer and check your privilege while you’re there." I did not do this. 

My counter was that this is firstly an Australian standard for all progressive organisations, something this organisation was trying to be. 

They came back saying that it was pandering and tokenistic. 

I countered that not having what is now a standard would make the organisation look bigoted. 

They didn't like that. At all.

And yes, this person, from all positions, holds polar-opposite views to me. Views I don't understand. But, of course, they are entitled have their say. Saying it louder doesn't make it more relevant. 

I'm sure this is a person who rolls their eyes when an Acknowledgement of Country is pronounced. Heaven knows what they think of the Welcome to Country statements and other cultural events. 

I've found myself firmly in the other camp. I feel these acknowledgements. I relish the smoking ceremonies and other cultural events. They get me in the solar plexus. I love to listen and hear the stories our First Nations people. 

Over the last couple of days, we've had Larrakia Elders come in to talk to us about Language and the roots of NAIDOC. Fascinating, though-provoking women telling their stories, giving us insights into culture. I'm in my fifties - until the last few years, I've not had the opportunities to be a part of these sessions. I'm so grateful to be witness to these sessions - to expand my understanding. 

This, to me, is something I wish we were taught at school. 

Instead of learning about Matthew Flinders, Colonel Light, Barker and Sturt, we learn about the culture of the land. None of the Terra Nullus that was forced down out throats. 

Instead of saying I was born in Adelaide, I could say I was born in Tarntanya, on Kaurna lands. 

Instead of living in Melbourne, I reside in Naarm, a part of the Kulin Nation. 

And periodically, I work on Larrakia land. 

Like any change, it takes time and patience, along with the willingness to listen and learn - and be open to more change. 

You have to start somewhere. 

I'm a work in progress.


Today's song: