Tuesday, July 25, 2023

The Cathedral Tour

 My most ideal holiday ever would be spent driving around the United Kingdom visiting every cathedral I could lay my hands on.  I'm not religious, but I love the architecture and the feelings of tranquility you get from these places. 

I even have this little map in my head of where I'd go, starting at Canterbury Cathedral, in Kent, to go commune with Thomas a Beckett. I've spent hours sitting with Thomas. He's a good dude. It's now £16.00 to get in there. 

From Canterbury, I'd make my way to Chichester to have a look around the old Cathedral. This one's free, but they'd like a donation. The art work in the building is amazing. 

Then over to Winchester, which has a £12.50 annual ticket price. Glorious building. 

From Winchester, I'd make my way to Salisbury to see the magnificent spire that can be seen for miles. That's got a £9.00 entry price. 

Then up to Bath to visit that gorgeous little Bath Abbey which sits on the riverbank in the middle of town. This bit of gothic glory has a £6.50 entry fee. 

I have fond memories of Bristol Cathedral. Some 30 years ago on a foggy December morning, where I got to hear the choir practicing St John's Passion in the days before Christmas. Free to enter, it appears the cathedral also has its own distillery. 

From there it would be either down to Welles and Exeter, or up to Gloucester.

And this is only the South of England. I've not gone into the joys of York Minster, or Lincoln Abbey, or Durham Cathedral, or my favourite, Ely Cathedral just out of Cambridge. 

Yes, I am a Cathedral nerd, and I am very proud of this. 

But I was doing some research today for my pending trip. I've only got five days, of which a chunk of it will be spent with friends. One set of friends lives near St Albans - and there is a lovely little cathedral to visit there. 

I also thought about visiting my favourite old stomping grounds, St Pauls and the wonderful Royal Peculiar, Westminster Abbey. I was a regular visitor at the latter. I remember the days when you could go up and commune with the Stone of Scone and the tomb of Edward the Confessor. You could say hi to Henry V and Queen Elizabeth I. 

St Pauls was always a bit too clinical for me. If the original building had been standing, maybe I would be more fond of it, but that burned down in 1666...

Regardless, I checked online to see what it would cost to have a proper visit - and not just to sit in the nave and pretend to pray. 

£27.50. Each. That's over $50 Australian dollars...

I think I'll take myself off to the National Gallery or the British Museum or the V&A Museum. All of which are free (and full of stuff that the British have pilfered over the years).  My other place of pilgrimage will be Postman's Park, in the shadow of St Pauls. It's one of those little peculiar places which makes London so special. 

I'm getting all nostalgic now. 

Today's song:

No comments: