Thursday, July 20, 2023

Tattoo You

 There is some talk among the group going to France of getting a small croissant tattoo while we are over there in remembrance of the trip. I'm not sure how serious they are. Do I want a croissant tattoo somewhere on my body? I'm not sure. Will I go along with the group if done? I don't know. 

I mean, an innocuous little croissant somewhere on my body can't be the worst thing in the world. It would have to be out of sight. That's a me thing - for myself I don't really want visible tattoos. 

A friend of mine once told me she would never get one as it would be something by which she could be identified if she ever went missing. Odd that. 

According to the internet, the meaning of a croissant tattoo is "As with bread, the croissant is a food that symbolizes blessing and joy. When we eat it, our body and soul feel emotional and spiritual peace. The croissant is also a sexual symbol."

And how is a croissant sexual? Is it because you have to lick up all the crumbs off your fingers? Or does the shape of it remind you of other thingies that I can't really remember what they look like.

I always said that if I was going to get another tattoo it would be a small one of the World Wildlife Fund panda. I'd probably put it with my other one - on my hip, out of harm's way.

But tattoos have come a long way since I had mine done. Every Tom, Kick and Harpreet has a tattoo - normally multiple tattoos. The provide me with a source of fascination - like Joshua Godfrey, the influencer. I have this small hankering to trace a finger of his designs. (I rather like Damien Broderick too - more of a sense of humour)


And you look at the quality of some tattoos, they're incredible.

It's not like it was when I got mine. Getting a tattoo was a big deal - and few people had them. The were career limiting items back in the day. Not anymore. 

I remember getting mine soon after my father died. 1997 was a shocking year for various reasons. After seeing some small tattoos on women in the gym, I bit the bullet and went down to the local tattoo parlor. I did my research, as you should when you are emblazoning a symbol in another language on your body. I have the Chinese symbol for love on my hip. It does not read "Chop Suey you fat fuck." I remember it being a savage tickle when the bloke who did my design put it on. I remember his Harley was sitting out the front. It was in a little shop near the West Hampstead tube station. It cost me twenty quid.


I look at the fine line work out there and I marvel at what they can do now. It's incredible.


And I always thought that if I ever got another tattoo it would be of the World Wildlife Panda - again very small, and again, out of the way.  

Another thing I wonder about. Would it feel any different being tattooed when there isn't a bikie on the other end of the needle. 

We'll think about it. Mind you, it will mean I can't donate blood for four months. And where do you put it? And why would I do such a silly thing? 

Ah well. 








1 comment:

TenTas said...

Get the Panda tattoo and not the croissant. I mean, I adore chocolate, but don't want the Lindt logo, or lindor ball or block of chocolate anywhere on my body: the layer of fat I already possess is testament enough to my adoration!