Sunday, October 6, 2024

Sunday Stealing: Pre-Daylight Savings questions

 It's a big weekend and I'm fitting in as much culture while I'm in Melbourne before returning to Darwin next weekend. So, it might be short answers this week. 

Also, Daylight Savings start this weekend. Booo. More adjusting of the body clocks.

Questions, as always, come from Bev at Sunday Stealing

1. What gets you fired up?

A few things. Politics. Women's rights. Abortion rights. Right wing politics. I can normally contain myself, but don't get me going on a bad day. You might not survive. 

2. What makes a good life?

Friends, family, food, decent gin, pets, down time. Travel. Cat videos definitely help too. 

3. What risks are worth taking?

According to the magnet on my fridge, life is sweetened by risk. I reckon any considered and calculated risk is worth taking. What can go wrong. (Okay sure, so much for sky diving... but it's low risk if you put the work in - then if anything goes wrong, it's bad luck)

4. Who inspires you to be better?

I'm not sure anybody inspires me to be better. It's something I want from within. 

5. What do you have doubts about?

Everything, at some stage. 

6. What fact are you resigned to?

Most people are stupid. It's unfortunate, but it's true. (I got some unsettling news tonight. I'm sitting here saying, "Stupid, stupid, stupid..." on repeat. I have to keep reminding myself that it's not my circus and they're not my monkeys. 

7. What book impacted you the most?

That would be "Who Moved My Cheese?" by Dr Spencer Johnson. After a diabolical day at work hearing about the suicide of a colleague, I bought a copy and sat in Fitzroy Gardens and read it. It's only a small book so it didn't take long. There are messages written on the wall in this book. It challenged me to ask what would I do if I wasn't scared. The following day, I quit my job and moved to Greece. Things didn't work out in Greece, but it did move my life forward a lot. And if I'm feeling stuck, I ask myself that same question. 

8. What irrational fear do you have?

Here's a few of them: 

  • Huntsman spiders (If you don't live in Australia, google them)
  • Intimacy
  • Leaving books on page 13
  • Open water
  • When in Darwin, swimming in the sea because of the crocodiles.
  • Being photographed. 

9. What is the hardest lesson you’ve learned?

Once your trust is broken, it is very foolish to let that person back in your life in any major way. I'll leave it at that. 

10. What is something you’re self-conscious about?

My body. As much as I lovely my body and what it can do, I don't like its size and wish it was smaller. I'm working on it. I refuse to have it photographed. 

11. What are one or two of your favorite smells?

  • Dogs and cat's paws first thing in the morning. 
  • Freshly baked bread
  • The street on a hot day after it's rained (petrichor)
  • Freshly brewed coffee
  • Clean bloke

12. Have you given to charities?

Yes. I give monthly to the Fred Hollows Foundation and Canteen. It's good to give back and they're charities that do great work.  

13. What is the best compliment you have received?

I don't get many compliments - but I remember one where I was told I was like a steam train. When I got a bit grumpy and asked why, I was told that I'm beautiful in an old-fashioned way and should be treasured. I have always loved steam trains. 

14. What chance encounter changed your life forever?

I can't think of one. I've never had a partner so meeting them was never a thing. That's the answer most people will probably give. 

15. What was the most memorable gift you’ve received?

I was once gifted a cock ring. I have no idea why. Sex toys are not something I'd ever give as a serious present and to this day, I have no idea what was in the giver's head when they bought this for me. It was in the bin pretty quickly. 


Today's song:

2 comments:

Lisa said...

The smell of freshly baked bread makes my mouth water . . .yum!!

Roger Owen Green said...

I love your passions!