Sunday, October 20, 2024

Sunday Stealing: Weekend Questions

 Another weekend in Darwin and today was delightful. I had a lovely day with my friend, who used to be my PE (Gym) teacher in high school, some 30 years ago. She's a most wonderful person and was generous enough to show me around the suburbs of Darwin, taking me out to places like Nightcliff, the Parap Markets and out to Humpty Doo and Foggs Dam, relating all sorts of history. It was a most marvellous day, and I cannot thank her enough.

Anyway, on with the questions, provided, as always, by Bev at Sunday Stealing

What’s the best birthday party you’ve ever had?

I remember my 40th as being really good, but my 50th celebrations went on for a few weeks. A group of friends and I went to Bali for a week, then there was a big combined party with my friend Alice, who turned 50 the week before me. It was really good. 

Where is your favorite place you’ve ever visited?

There are many places in the world that I call my favourite. 

Here's a few by category. 

Favourite cities: London, Paris, Toledo in Spain (not Ohio), Wellington, New Zealand. 

Favourite historial site: Mont St Michel, France, Doi Suthep temple, Chiang Mai, Thailand, any British cathedral, particularly Ely, near Cambridge. The Taj Majal, Agra, India. 

Favourite place in nature: The Great Ocean Road, Nitmiluk (Katherine) Gorge, Cornwall in England, Most Fleurieu Peninsula beaches. 

How do you like to spend your free time? 

Doing lots of things, from getting exercise, spending time with friends, reading, going to theatre and the movies... ironing. I like to have my ironing up to date. 

What’s one of your favorite bands?

Talking Heads. I've loved Talking Heads since I was a teenager. They are still great. And relevant. And fun. Please see the Today's song for a cover of the following. It's amazing. Kudos to anybody who does a good job of covering this seminal band. 

What is the cutest animal you’ve ever seen in person?

I saw pandas at Adelaide Zoo many years ago. They were amazing. Red pandas are even better. 


I also love foxes. I see a lot of them around my suburb at night - amazing animals. I also remember coming across one in England when I was out at a friend's place in Surrey. We looked at each other for a couple of minutes. It was amazing. 

How would you describe your style?

Very casual and comfortable, maybe a little bit edgy. I wear a lot of black, but that is a Melbourne thing. I've always worn a lot of black, or plain colours and quiet prints. I love motorcycle boots and comfortable shoes. In Darwin, I live in loose cotton trousers, a cotton t-shirt and Birkenstocks. 

If your wardrobe could only be one color, what would it be? 

Navy or black. Though there is a part of me that would love that to be bright red. 

What was the first concert you ever went to?

Elton John and the Sydney Philharmonic Orchestra in Adelaide in about 1984. 

What is the best book you’ve ever read?

Don't make me choose that. Here are a few of my favourite reads:

  • Captain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernieres. 
  • Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
  • The Narrow Road to the Deep North by Richard Flanagan
  • The Harry Potter books by JK Rowling
  • Born to Run by Christopher McDougall
  • Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut
  • The Cornish Trilogy by Robertson Davies
  • The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert
  • Still Life by Sarah Winman

What’s your favorite movie of all time? 

Again, don't ask me to name one. Here's a few of my favourite movies: 

  • The Colours: Blue
  • Atonement
  • Calvary
  • The Shawshank Redemption (It was on television tonight)
  • Witness and The Truman Show
  • The Princess Bride
  • Henry V (Kenneth Branagh's version)
  • The Wedding Singer
  • Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
  • Many English films that nobody has heard of, but I love. 

What’s the stupidest movie or TV show you’ve ever seen?

Probably Love Island. It's awful. 


If you could only have one food for the rest of your life, what would you choose?

Ice cream. But that isn't going to happen. 

What are your biggest pet peeves?

  • Rude people
  • People who butcher the English language when they should know better
  • People who don't use their indicators while driving. 

Are you more into brains or looks?

Definitely into brains. Brains are sexy. Anybody with a good brain is automatically attractive, and as long as they are clean, the looks will get better. 

Do you celebrate any holidays? What’s your favorite?

Australia is a secular nation, so we don't have the Holiday season per se. I don't celebrate any holidays, but do rock up to family functions when required. 

Today's Song:

1 comment:

Roger Owen Green said...

I saw Talking Heads in Saratoga Springs, NY during the Stop Making Sense Tour; one of the greatest concerts ever. I saw Elton John in 1999(?) in Albany, NY; he was good, though he had backup singers for some of those higher notes