Thursday, June 28, 2018

53 Days: Your my favourite waste of time

I want to write the great Australian novel, but I am very good at one thing which is stopping me.

Procrastinating.

I am very good at procrastinating.

Dictionary.com describes procrastinating as the act of delaying or deferring an action. It comes from the Latin, Procrastinatus - to put off until tomorrow. See - I procrastinated there by looking up the Latinate of this word. The Oxford English Dictionary was made for procrastinators.

Which is slightly different to equivocators. (Faith, here's an equivocator!) Equivicators are people who equivocate, which is described as "to use ambiguous or unclear expressions, usually to avoid commitment or in order to mislead; prevaricate or hedge."

Equivocators and procrastinators are as bad as each other. In the words of the Porter in Macbeth (Act 2, scene 3) "Faith, here's an equivocator, that could swear in both the scales against either scale; who committed treason enough for God's sake, yet could not equivocate to heaven. O, come in, equivocator."

I didn't have to look that one up. I just like spouting Shakespeare. It's another form of procrastination.

But I equivocate. I'm talking about procrastination.

I have favourite ways to procrastinate when writing. There are some good ways to procrastinate.

Some of the things I do include:

  • Planning the ultimate holiday (Suite at the Plaza, New York, anyone? Business class of course)
  • Sorting the ultimate playlist
  • Cleaning the bathroom - which is procrastinating and useful at the same time
  • Reading - never a waste of time but it doesn't get jobs done.
  • Talking to the cat - and I have a cat to talk to at the moment
  • Going to the gym
  • Candy Crush / Clash of Clans / Words with Friends
  • Binge watching whatever takes your fancy - currently Younger (on Stan - and 20 minute episodes means you can put it down easily), Harrow, The Handmaid's Tale, Suits and Billions are all up there.
Then there is the hard core procrastination. This is the guilty pleasures which really shouldn't be classed as procrastinating. These are the hard core habits that you don't really like to admit to.

My current sanity procrastination is Darvey fan fiction. Darvey. Yeah. I won't say any more other than it is a Bermuda Triangle of bad writing. You can't look away. 

It's awesome.

And my favourite waste of time. Just don't tell anybody.

Right, time to find tomorrow's song of the day. (Procrastinating again instead of doing the ironing)



Today's Song:


No comments: