Sunday, August 9, 2020

Extraordinary Penpals

Level Four Lockdown: Day Seven
Self-Isolation: Day Four (Though my test has just come back negative, so I can go for a walk in a bit)
Curfew. 8 p.m.
Mood: Better for getting the negative result. Better for knowing I can go for a walk later.

I'm just out of self-isolation lock down. I was tested for COVID on Thursday afternoon after developing a slight cough and being a bit headachy. The test results just came in - thankfully I don't have it - and I'm feeling quite well. I was getting a bit ratty. Being locked in the house, not being to go out past the letterbox is not a fun thing. Now the results are in, I'm free again. Well, as free as our lockdown and curfew restrictions allow (i.e. Not allowed to be found out of a 5 km radius from home, not allowed out between 8 pm and 5 am) As all non-essential shops are shut, it doesn't make it that hard.

Anyway, I have some writing to do - so I'd better get these questions out the way. Thanks to Bev at Sunday Stealing for providing these, as always.

1. What are your plans for August?

Ha, plans! Melbourne is currently under Stage 4 restrictions, so everything is closed (bar supermarkets, pharmacies and petrol stations - unless the  business can operate a delivery service or click and collect. It's fun)  It's my birthday next week - somebody might be bringing me round fish and chips. I need to get on with writing this novel. That's about it. Stage 4 restrictions come off on 3 September.

2. Review the first half of 2020

I've don't nothing and gone nowhere. Okay, before mid-March I saw a few films and went to the theatre. I'd even made it to Sydney a couple of times. I've been working from home since mid-March. I've gone nowhere and done nothing since then. I've done a bit of writing - that is about it. I now attend exercise classes over Zoom (though we were in the park until last week, before the hard lock down came in.)

3. A place you’d go if money were no object

I think three months in New York in a swanky apartment in Manhattan would be just wonderful - this is pre-COVID of course.

4. Who was your childhood best friend

When I was very young I had a good friend called Pippa. We lost touch when we moved to the country when I was eight.

5. The city or town you love most

I will always have a soft spot for London.

6. How do you spend hot days?

When it's hot, I have a tendency to hide in the cinema, using somebody else's air conditioning. On good days, I might go down to a friend's place and go to the beach with them.

7. Are you a skilled cook or baker?

I'm an okay cook and I love to bake. I'm not overly skilled, but I can do most things following a recipe.

8. One thing you wish you could currently do.

Travel. I miss travelling. It was so easy before all of this.

9. A time when you learned your lesson

I learned at a young age not to put my tongue tip onto five-volt battery connectors.

10, What consistently makes you laugh

Monty Python, Adam Hills and Ross Noble.



11. Routines that bring you calm and peace.

My morning walk around the river is always good for me.

12. Who annoys you the most?

People who can't string together a cohesive argument. People who believe their opinions mean more than science, when they have no scientific study behind them. Narrow-minded people. Sniffers.

13. Describe some of your favorite household items.

Under these lockdown conditions, my favourite things are my ugg boots and my oodie. Everybody needs an oodie - they keep you warm and they are very comfortable. Oodies are just oversized jumpers / sweaters / jerseys made of polar fleece. I love mine.



14. What have you gotten better at?

Saying no.

15. Share a random memory.

I remember when I was in England swimming at the Swiss Cottage Baths regularly. It was a 33 metre pool, and as it was a diving pool it was incredibly deep. I loved that swimming pool, summer and winter.

16. How many pairs of shoes do you have?

Too many. Over 20. Stupid thing is I live in the same five pairs , with the others just to change things up a bit.

17. Who do you go to for encouragement?

Often my friend Jonella. She's good at these those things. Very encouraging.

18. References you make that others don’t get.

Lots of my book and film references go over most people's heads. I also quote a lot of Monty Python and The Young Ones - which nobody under 40 has any idea about. English humour hey...

19. What are 10 things you consider essential for you?

  • Lucifer (my cat)
  • Friends
  • Rooibos tea
  • My silver Birkenstocks
  • Books
  • Movies
  • My writing class
  • My bed
  • Travel
  • Gin

20. Is there any accent you wish you had?

I'd kill for a real French accent. I'd love that. Though my Australian accent is very soft (it's a hybrid of Adelaide and North London) there is nothing that beats a French accent - though a soft Dublin accent would be great too.

Today's song:


6 comments:

Susan said...

I am glad your test came back negative. We all have to wear mask in our county. Stores are open. Manhattan would be nice. I was there a couple of days back in 2008 and loved it! Stay healthy!

Stacy said...

Your restrictions are stricter than ours were at the worst from the sounds of it. We were never forbidden from being more than 5 km/miles from home or HAD to stay inside overnight. They kept the big super stores (Walmart), the groceries, pharmacies, and big home improvement stores open even when everything else was shut down. Not much sense in that. Anyway, glad your results were negative and you have "freedom" again.

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Pand,

Glad you don't have the evil lurgy.

I like Adam Hills too. He is on a show called The Last Leg here in the UK (and he is constantly ribbed for being an Aussie).

:o)

Cheers

PM

Kwizgiver said...

What a relief you tested negative!

A song from my favorite band! :)

Lori Ray said...

Our Covid numbers are getting higher and we just keep going. I am so glad you tested negative. Happy birthday to you! Loved your answers! Have a nice Sunday!

https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

zippiknits...sometimes said...

You had a birthday! Yay! And Wow...It's so good that you got tested for covid and it was negative!
California had a surge, San Diego count was really high in July, a ton of people come here from Arizona in summer at the beach and that didn't change.

We are getting a farm box and some other things via delivery now, and will probably keep it. It's great.

Your accent sounds perfect to me. I love Aussie accents.
Stay safe, Stay well...