Monday, August 24, 2020

What We Did On Our Holiday

Level Four Lockdown: Day Twenty-Three
Curfew. 8 p.m.
Mood: Level. Wanting to go see a film

I'm an English film freak. Always have been, always will be.

The other night as I was flicking through the channels I found one of my absolute favourites showing. The superlative What We Did On Our Holiday. It's a film few have heard of - mind you many have not heard a lot about British cinema. I mention films such as Pride, Kinky Boots, The Full Monty, Their Finest Hour, Finding Your Feet, Peter's Friends, Henry V, Richard III... I can go on and on.

But What We Did On Our Holiday really tickled my fancy. A mix of high comedy, pathos, tragedy and satire - it is just wonderful. I remember when I first saw it, laughing and crying in equal measure. I also immediately called my mother to tell her to go see it. I miss giving Mum movie recommendations.

Anyway,  it was on SBS World Movies the other night.


As lockdown has been a bit of a killer lately, made worse by my lack of a shower, we need everything we can get our hands on keep us happy - and this did the trick.

So, what do I love about this film?

It's honest.

It shows a modern family with modern foibles. Abi (Rosamund Pike) and Doug (David Tennant) are a separated couple, loving parents to three primary school aged kids who find themselves traveling to Scotland for Doug's father's 70th birthday. A road trip ensues - and anybody who has been on a road trip with kids and bickering parents will understand.

It has life tips.

From the scene in the roadhouse, I want to find somebody I can play chip jenga with. I think chip jenga is now on my bucket list.

It's raw.

Doug's father, Geordie (played by the superlative Billy Connolly), is dying, but he's not saying much about it,. He tries to play nice with the family. He has a particularly lovely relationship with his oldest granddaughter, Jess (Emilia Jones, another scene stealer). The pathos in all of Connolly's scenes is extraordinary.

It's jawdroppingly sad in parts

But that's not the point of the film - but you will cry. Some sad tear. Some happy tears.

It shows kids at their resilient best

And these kids are not only resilient, they're amazing - and thoughtful - and inventive. I won't say more than that as it will give the plot away.

It shows the absurdity of family

Because families are absurd - and the English always do this well.

The Scottish Scenery is incredible

It was filmed just out of Glasgow. Scotland is an incredibly beautiful country. Nuff said.

The Waterboys play the final theme song.

You can't go past The Fisherman's Blues. There's a bit of fiddle music in the movie too.

And there are ostriches.

I have no idea why here are ostriches in this movie, but there are.

I can't recommend this highly enough. You can currently stream it on SBS On Demand for free.


Today's song:


No comments: