Saturday, April 30, 2022

Sunday Stealing: Firsts

 Once again, I'm doing the Sunday questions on a Saturday. It's a busy weekend. Lots of fun stuff on - haircut, a movie, and bet of all, some Shakespeare tomorrow with a woman playing Hamlet. Makes for an interesting weekend. Especially, as there is no work in sight. 

Anyway on with the questions, provided, as always, by Bev at Sunday Stealing

First Job:

I had a job at the General Store in my home town when I was at school. I worked there over the school holidays. My first 'real' job was in the jewellery department at John Martins department store in Adelaide. I've gained a deep respect for people working in retail from these experiences. 

First Favorite Politician:

Gough Whitlam. Because of him, I got most of my university education for free. 

First Record/CD:

ABBA Arrival. I think most kids of the 70s received an ABBA record in some point in time. 

First Concert:

Elton John with the Sydney Philharmonic Orchestra at Football Park in Adelaide in around 1985 or so. Am I proud of this? Yes and no. My street cred had just taken a hit. 

First Foreign Country Visited:

New Zealand. However, as New Zealand is so much like Australia, the first country I travelled to on my own was Malaysia, on the way to England. 

First Favorite TV Show:

As a kid I used to love I Love Lucy and Hogan's Heroes. It was on just before I went to bed. 

First Favorite Actor:

Cary Grant. I still think he's wonderful. 

First Favorite Actress:

Katherine Hepburn. 

First Girlfriend/Boyfriend:

Oh, I prefer to forget about that. He was lanky and spotty and nerdy like all first boyfriends should be. 

First Encounter with a Famous Person:

One of these - I stood behind Emma Thompson in the supermarket in West Hampstead

First House/Condo Owned:

I've never owned a house. The first flat I rented on my own was in East Melbourne. I really liked it there. 

First Film Seen:

I'm pretty sure my dad took me to see Robin Hood  - the Disney version, when I was about five-years-old at the time. As it came out in 1973, that fits the bill. 

First Favorite Radio Station:

Of course it has to be SAFM - always has been even though I can't listen to the crap music on it now. I listen to GOLD FM now - I am that old. 

First Book I Remember Reading:

The Magic Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton. I used to love those books. 


Today's song: 

4 comments:

Kwizgiver said...

Love today's song!

I don't think your street cred takes a hit. ;)

Bev Sykes said...

I loved Cary Grant too. at one point I had every movie he ever made on VHS tapes.

I never learned to appreciate ABBA until I was in my 60s.

Su-sieee! Mac said...

You’re not old, as long as others are older, lol. So, I like to tell myself. Katherine Hepburn was my first favorite actress, too. Just saw “Bringing Up Baby” with her and Cary Grant. This time round I realized she did an impersonation of herself as done in old cartoons.

Roger Owen Green said...

I saw Elton John too. And I have NO shame about it!