Friday, April 1, 2022

The Bad Influence

 My friend Alice is a bad influence. 

Things I can tell you about Alice:

  • We met on a job where we were both working as software testers.
  • We are born a week apart. Alice is the week older. 
  • We lived a mile away from each other in London but never met
  • Alice is sure she met up with an ex of mine in a dodgy club down West End Lane
  • Alice and I bonded over mutual loves of a good cup of tea and The Pixies
  • When Alice and I get together, we often get up to no good. 
  • We are each other's wing man
  • Alice lets me embarrass her now teenage son (by relating the fact that I have changed his nappies)
  • Alice is a good egg
  • And she is a very bad influence
She calls me up tonight. 
"Pand. Pixies? Sydney?"
"No, Alice, I said I'd go in Melbourne."
"But it's at the Forecourt of the Opera House, like the one we missed."
"That was the last time I was in Sydney."
"We went to the Bienniale instead the next morning."
"We did."
"And Pete lost his phone and had to go out to the Sydney version of Woop Woop to get it back."
"And that was the last time I saw what's his face."
"Really."
"Yeah."
"Well he's not around any more and Sydney is a big place."
"True."
"So you're coming?'
"Did you see? Joey Santiago hearted our posts on The Pixies facebook page!" (Joey Santiago is The Pixies' guitarist - swoon)
"I did. So are you going with us to Sydney?"
"I'm going to try to get tickets to Melbourne."
"But you can come to Sydney too. It's me and Pete and Jerry and Mike and maybe Mel... And they're playing Surfer Rosa/Come on Pilgrim..."
"The gang's all here."
"Not the same without you, Pand. Surfer Rosa, Pand..."

What am I supposed to say? 

Seeing The Pixies outside on a big stage, versus seeing them in the Forum - which the last time I was there I think I saw Puppetry of the Penis and my mate Odious Odette was with us and it wasn't fun. 

And it's a bunta trip.

And it will break my slight fear of going back to Sydney. 

It's nine months away.

It gives me something to look forward to. 

And...

"Oh, fuck it. Count me in. "

My friend Alice is a very bad influence. 

I'll get her back. Billy Bragg is coming next March. I'll let Alice select what night we go on....

Today's songs

No comments: