Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Choices, choices

 I'm booked in for my fourth COVID shot in two weeks. 

This is being done willingly - if anything, I was hoping to get an appointment sooner, but you need to fly the gamut of finding somewhere to get your your vaccination - whether that be at your doctors, the pharmacy, a clinic, a hospital... Then, it's making the appointment, making sure you can get to the appointment and pondering if you're getting the right vaccine...

Mind you, I tend to run some of these decisions through Jay - who's a GP, and at least gets to read a bit more about this. They don't give out Astra Zeneca any more, so it's a choice between Pfizer, Moderna and Novovax . From what I've read around, it seems Pfizer and Moderna are the way to go for this shot - and other knowing that I want it - as I've not had COVID yet and anything to minimize the disease if or when I get it. 

It's a bit of a badge of honour not to have had it. And sure, I wear a mask when I'm in crowded areas, at the movies, certainly on public transport and whenever there feels like there's too many people around.

And besides, after not being sick with respitory diseases for the last two years, getting one is the last thing I want. I hate having colds. They go to my chest and I cough for weeks. I've not missed getting sick. 

But enough on that. My other choice for today was what to do about exercise. Tuesday nights are my 'dead' night for exercise. Monday and Thursday I train with Jay and Cleo. Sunday has me at Pump. I'm making an effort to go to ParkRun every second Saturday - Friday is my day off - or I get a walk in. But Tuesdays. What are the choices? 

There's BodyCombat at the gym at 5.45 pm. Combat is a non-contact aerobic boxing class, filled with punches, kicks and jumping about . It's also cold outside and it's at the gym. There's a 6.30 core class - half an hour of brutal core work - not sure if I am ready for that yet as I've lost a bit of core strength when they yanked my gall bladder. It's getting there, but not yet. 

The last option was BodyJam online. 

It's pretty much the only dance class I'll take part in - and that is online and at home where nobody can see me. And besides - the cat, in the past, has judged me when I have done Zumba - and I look like a fridge when I dance, and I can sort of do this and not feel too uncoordinated. I've even learned how to pop and lock. Anni, who runs the online studio at Move Culture, is awesome, and inclusive, and doesn't laugh at my dodgy moves. 

So I went the BodyJam tonight. It was better than getting out of the flat, in the cold, into the car then out to the gym. Here I just had to clear the living room, change into my gym gear and say a silent apology to my downstairs neighbour who must think that there's a rehearsal for Fantasia going on upstairs.


A bit warmer, 300 calories down and feeling a little bit virtuous, I left the class happy with my choice to stay in and dance. 

If only it was only as easy to make such a choice with the vaccines. Not that I'm vaccine hesisitant, but a few more definitive choices and less misinformation would make it a bit easier. 

No comments: