Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Notes from a cold morning

 Waking this morning, I found my companion was nowhere to be found. Lucifer normally spends the night sleeping between my knees. Late in the evening he came up to me with a quizzical look. I held up the quilt, indicating if he wanted to get under the covers he could - but no. A bit later, after I'd turned off the light and turned onto my stomach, he made his normal nest between my knees.

I woke at 6 a.m. to no cat. He'd decided to camp out on the couch, in the cold lounge room. 

Traitor. 

I thought cats liked to seek out the warmth. 

Despite the cat being a bit of a prick, and the fact it was one degree celcius when I woke, it looked amazing outside. 

The sky was as clear as I've ever seen it. I've never noticed the steam coming out of the brewery chimneys before. 


And sure it was cold as I made my way to the tram stop - but under my coat and scarf, with a decent layer of clothes underneath, and my mask on - it was fine. Brisk, crisp, sharp are what the Brits would call it. That sharp biting cold which because of the lack of moisture doesn't go into your bones if you keep moving. It's a morning which would have me running - until my lungs seized up with the cold - but that was many years ago. 

I love cold weather like this. It reminds me of England - which had it's hottest day ever recorded today. And sure, we Australians ridicule the poms for not being able to tolerate the heat - but at least we're equipped for it - the poor Brits mostly don't have air conditioning. 

The trip to the office was uneventful. I've done it hundreds of times before, although there is a pleasure in taking public transport at the moment. You don't end up stuck under somebody's armpit at peak hour at the moment. That 80% of people were wearing masks, even better - sure it would be better if it was everybody, but people will be people. 

I found a quiet room to work in - helping to cut the infection risk down again. We talked about the fact that we may be made to work from home for a few weeks, the way the COVID numbers are going. 

Lunch with my friend, the only reason I went into the office, was lovely. 

The change of scenery was appreciated. 

It was still cold outside, but it barely registered. 


Today's song:



No comments: